2011 Surly Pugsley Fat Bike

How much wider are the pedals to clear the wider chain stays?, you must fell like a cowboy.
I'll bet your climbing the walls waiting :LOL:
Sometimes the waiting makes the arival all the sweeter.

The BB shell width is 100mm so the Q factor on these bikes is a tad different to normal bikes, very easy to ride though ;)

Spares are easy to get hold off and even BB replacements start at £25 if you manage to knack one.

They are bombproof bikes made for endurance riding in the harshest conditions. Look after the bearings and the bike will last.

after breaking my ribs and spraining my wrist on xmas day, not much activity has been done by myself........i can only look at bikes thesedays :cry:

the docs have told me to keep active to keep the lungs working, something thats hard to do.

washed the pugsley (thats how bored i have been) and couldnt resist a slow bimble around town to dry it off.........bloody no life in my body i know that.

IMG_1955.jpg

new tires are due tomorrow, atleast i will not miss the postman :roll:

new winter boots arrived today..........surly nate.

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

i thought the larry and endomorph tires were big.....crikey.

one thing i noticed when others bought these, were they vary in weight, quite a bit.

its not a wise thing getting the pugsley near a set of scales but none the less........despite the huge tread, they weigh less than the larry and endo.

larry - 1680g
endo - 1720g
nate - 1420g
nate - 1500g

strangely one of the surly tubes comes in at 580g the other 360g

the bike, for those that are interested weighs a hefty but not noticeable 41.80lbs

first impressions after a little local ride (im recovering from broken ribs) are good.

they roll really well, and noise isnt as bad, though i have 20psi in at the moment to seat the tires proper.

grip is silly.....going from a rear endo to a nate is like comparing a slick and a downhill tire. boom, it grabs hold and takes you where you want to go.

i rode over a field thats always boggy, apart from the sploshing noise, youd think it was regular grass, the whole tire dissapearing into the mud/water/grass in some places.

the tread is so wide apart, the tire self cleans in seconds, ready for the next task.

next was a incline in a wood section, alongside some wooden steps, bikes had been going up and down the slimy section to avoid the steps.........you could see the fresh tracks of previous guy..........tread marks, slipping marks vice versa......all the way up.

i never slipped once, just rolled up and could even accelerate up at the half way mark, the confidence and traction was that high.

soon as i rolled out onto the bank above, a look behind you'd be convinced a motorbike had just rode up it!

this is only after a few miles though, im keen to get it out and stick some miles on these tires.

one thing i did notice is the width of these things, in the lowest gear theres not much room, lucky im rarely in the granny ring, though there was no rubbing anyways.

IMG_1961.jpg

Perfect winter tyre, aren't they :cool:

According to the threads on mtbr, its better to run the rear tyre backwards. I fitted mine that way from the start so can't say for sure whats best but I doubt you're struggling for grip as it is :LOL:

I take it you weighed the tyres yourself? I'm surprised how light they are. I had them down as 1780g as per the spec on fatbikes.com. And I was hoping to save 1.5 - 2lbs when the Husker du's come out. I must get mine on the scales some time....

It looks like you got one of the new and one of the old Surly tubes. The old ones are listed as 570g vs 450g for the newer ones. From any pics I've seen the packaging is all the same so you don't know what you've got until you weigh them. I only weighed one of mine and it was 470g :? .

Yeah i weighed them myself as i was keen to know as they felt lighter than I expected.

Despite the lower weight, the bike itself is still a beast with its racks, tool bags and various bits added to it like locks and brackets, that adds a good few pounds.

Yet it still goes everywhere I want it too;)

Looking forward to a proper off road test when I'm feeling better.

Back