a bit different for Retrobikes

damianw

Orange 🍊 Fan
Here's my De Rosa King 3... posting here as it was a post on RB that led me to tracking down the ex rock racing team frame :) cheers RB! Used some tarty deda bar tape and similar bits of cable housing. Couldn't help myself.

It's 6.6kg with pedals and garmin 500. Well chuffed. Just had a quick ride to test him out (he's called Ugo, of course) and it's just a beautiful ride, even in the wind.

Carbon spacers on order and a bike fit due, before you ask about the steerer!

6634159307_d86456fbd0.jpg

6634158647_d8cd0e2f1c.jpg

6634157325_d7f079322f.jpg

6634155939_32812438ed.jpg

6634154651_47b24f792c.jpg

6634154057_c16d46ef2d.jpg

Frame: 2008 De Rosa King 3 for Rock Racing
Forks: De Rosa
Bars: Deda 100
Stem: KCNC sc wing
Headset: Campagnolo chorus
Bar Tape: Deda

Front Brake Lever: SRAM red
Front Caliper: SRAM red black edition
Rear Brake Lever: SRAM red
Rear Caliper: SRAM red black edition

Shifters: SRAM red
Cables: Jagwire racer
Front Mech: SRAM red black edition
Rear Mech: SRAM red black edition

Seat: San Marco Aspide
Seat Post: KCNC stubby
Seat Post Clamp: KCNC stubby

Cranks: SRAM red black edition
Chainring(s): compact SRAM red black edition
Chain: SRAM 1091
Cassette: SRAM 1090
Pedals: Look keo
Bottom Bracket: SRAM ceramic

Front Wheel: Cole T50 carbon tubular
Tire: Vittoria Corsa evo CX tubular

Back Wheel: Cole T50 carbon tubular
Tire: Vittoria Corsa evo CX tubular

Accessories: Comtat bottle cages, Garmin 500, helicopter taped frame

Other info: Ex rock racing team frame, enjoying its pampered second life!

all comments welcome. i know they were/ are a marmite team, me, i just love De Rosas and the colour scheme on their old bikes. This will be a Retro-roadbike in a few years time!

That looks nice, not sure about the leatherette effect on the wheels though (4th pic down)

Rock Racing have always been an interesting team to me, they hit the scene with a bang (changing strips halfway through a multi-day race, strippers and huge cars)but never really made any inroads into the race scene. They seem to be relegated to smaller and smaller races now, which is a shame as some of their riders are characters.

i think of that "leatherette" as varicose veins!

it's carbon strands, laid up in a somewhat, errr, random fashion. That's cole wheels for you, at least when caught with a flash.

thanks for your feedback :) just had a quick test ride around the park today, but what a fantastic ride!

Cool, I'm sure it'll get some attention both good and bad. Any idea whose bike it was?

Thanks for the compliment, means a lot coming from the guv'nor!

I really tried to work on whose it was (bought from the remains of the team), but they couldn't/ wouldn't say- shame. All i know is it wasn't Cipo's :)
(i'm a relative short arse and he rode his own bike). Frame is a 55cm top tube- think that was a 62 De Rosa sizing.

I couldn't see any super power legs/ lungs in the "for sale" section, do they come up every now and then?

Nice! Future classic :) the finish on the carbon rim is called marbled :)

Wow!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Don't know much about Rock Racing to be honest, apart from the funky-looking team kit that goes for big $$$$ on ebay.

Love it!!

That's spectacular. De Rosa are now being imported into France again after a few years' absence and they are getting good write-ups. Nice to see something a bit different.

Back