1990's Boulder

breezerboy":nb3j8aqy said:
Adjustable preload coil spring with shim stack oil damping. If you undo the "chain link" holding the shock shaft onto the swingarm you can rotate the shaft to preload the spring or unscrew the entire shock inards from the frame for servicing (mine had no oil when it arrived). Easily tunable shim stack to suit your weight/riding style too. Way ahead of it's time that way.

I have heard about that but do not want to do this without some extra info.
Do you maybe have some pictures about the action?

thanks!

breezerboy":sarsqzer said:
Not sure if it's a Defiant or Gazelle, but either way I like it.

The Tioga cranks spin smoother than anything else I've known but the rest is bog standard DX 7 speed. Oh apart from the hubs, which are a pair of Clark Kent pineapples laced onto 261s.

Other parts include Roox Danny stem, Salsa post, Maxxis tyres, Pace RC 35's and Stronglight Headstrong needle roller aheadset.

bayofe019.jpg

bayofe020.jpg

bayofe021.jpg

bayofe023.jpg

bayofe022.jpg

bayofe026.jpg

That is a sweet build!!!! & love those cranks!!!

Boulder

In 1991, I went to Moab with Joe Breeze and several new Lawwill Leader forks to demo them to the press and bike manufacturers. Joe brought along a Breezer he built in 3 days to take the Lawwill fork. I met Rich Williams, Boulder Bike's owner and the next day fitted a Leader fork to one of his bikes. I subsequently had a BIG crash dropping into the Slickrock trail due to crown failure on the prototype fork I had fitted to the Boulder-was paralyzed for 10 days and took 2 years to get better. Anyway, my comment here is Boulder called the bike the Gazelle until Raleigh sued them because they owned rights to the Gazelle name, so Boulder changed the name to Defiant. On another note, Joe Breeze still has that handmade Breezer with the Lawwill fork hanging in his workshop, and I am working on him to sell it to me.

Why is it that older bikes like this look absolutely stunning when compared to most new stuff. I just cant get enough of this bloody site!!

Very nice boulder! Love it! But another stem would suit the bike much better! Silver ringle or something.

Back