Early 80's Raleigh Competition

Hello all. I found this old thread in a search and couldn't help but add something. I've just bought a Raleigh Competition for €40 from a 2nd hand store near Limoges in France. It's the black frame, chrome forks just like Wilfred's and almost as good condition - so it looks virtually identical.

When I saw it, I was an instant 'must have'. A quick ride told me that whoever owned it had really looked after it because it rode (and rides) beautifully. I've changed the saddle and bar tape but undecided as to whether to make more changes - the brakes could do with an upgrade, that's for real!

Spec: Reynolds 351. Weinmann levers and brakes. Sachs-Mallard hubs and Mavic 192 rims. Stronglight cranks, Suntour front mech and Shimano RX100 rear.

Hi,

a new crank is coming for my Raleigh : a nice Specialités TA 50.4 BCD / 175 mm :D

Very light : 377 g
And versatile, it fits for chainrings from 26t to 54t (with Paris-Brest-Paris in mind, 46 / 36 will be perfect for me instead of my 52 / 42)

The pictures :

6574823711_b5c0463474_b.jpg

What sort of handlebar bag is that? Suits the bike very well.

Edit: just went back to the start and read again - "Gilles Berthoud". Will do a Google search. I don't suppose they sell them in Decathlon...

very nice!

did you renovate the chrome or re-chrome? If renovation/polish, could you tell me how you did it and what products you used? I need to do something similar (although mine is not quite as rusty as yours were).

Cheers!

HQDP":162f6kiz said:
very nice!

did you renovate the chrome or re-chrome? If renovation/polish, could you tell me how you did it and what products you used? I need to do something similar (although mine is not quite as rusty as yours were).

Cheers!

The fork was simply polished with very fine steel wool

I found a nice pair of pedals : a set of Lyotard Berthet (French Thread 14 x 1,25 mm : perfect for the TA cranks) :D

6685768347_bac8c3dded_b.jpg

Just wanted to give a quick update of my Raleigh : the TA Pro Vis 5 is mounted !

It's finally resembling something that looks like a nice randonneuse

With this bike, I'm not too worried about speed, that's why I finaly choosed 42/32 & 13/24 (I don't like chain crossings).
The good news : the Super Record mech works fine with the 32 /24

6776625733_e1aee5c861_b.jpg

6776627633_d93446058a_b.jpg

6776628669_1309d3c580_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back