1979 Urago 531

Rich34

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I mentioned this a few weeks back with a question about internal cable routing: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173059

I won't repeat the preamble but this is a 1979 Urago 531 frame and forks that I'm putting together with a load of Mavic parts, for a period (more or less) "Tout Mavic" build. As I'm an impatient bugger I want to build it and ride it than strip it and get it painted properly. This will be in several parts as I work away from home, but here is the start of the build:

Uragoside.jpg
[/img]

Uragofront.jpg

The crankset, derailleurs, levers and calipers are quite early Mavic, possibly 1980. The brake levers however are of a later vintage. Not sure which year these Look pedals are from - does anyone out there know?

[/img]
Maviccrankset.jpg

I'm hoping Laz can help out with a stop plate for the derailleur, as I don't have one. Plan B is to bastardize the stop plate from a Shimano 105 rear derailleur I have knocking about. I have no idea if that will work, but I'll have a go.

Mavicderailleur.jpg

[/img]
Mavicfrontder.jpg

I love these shifters...

Mavicshifters.jpg

I also have a Mavic headset which will be replacing this Shimano 600 one.

[/img]
Uragofrontbrake.jpg

The rims are Module E2 Argent and the hubs are Mavic too, though I'm not sure which type. The bars and stem are also Mavic - anyone know if they made seatposts?!

The red paint is nice but isn't original and is flaking off in places. I'm hoping there are some Urago serial numbers underneath it. I haven't decided which colour scheme to go for yet. Any suggestions welcome... I can get Urago decals from a French site. I also need an Urago headbadge - harder to find, but they occasionally come up on French eBay. I'll clean up all of the parts properly when I dismantle it all for the paint job.

It will be a few weeks before I can do any more to it, so I hope to use the time to source the headbadge and make a decision on the paint.

I like that! I have a TT bike with a full Mavic groupset, from the 80s as well. What are the tyres?

The tyres are Michelin Dynamic Classics, I found them in a local sports shop that has a bike section. Not very expensive and they look okay. I have another set on a '90s Bianchi too. Much prefer the tan wall look to all-black tyres.

Looking good - but nasty crack in the rear mech pulley. Hope to see it finished soon.

I hadn't spotted that Ned - cheers.

If I can find a solution to the stop plate (and have a look at that pulley...) I should be able to get it finished later next month once I'm home. Fingers crossed.

Do you have any idea if Shimano pulleys fit Mavic derailleurs? I have a couple knocking about begging to be used.

Rich34":2jpa2vn7 said:
Do you have any idea if Shimano pulleys fit Mavic derailleurs? I have a couple knocking about begging to be used.

Only one way to find out - try it!

Let me know if they do, I might need to do the same thing ;)

Will let you know...

That and the stop plate, it's just as well there's so much Shimano kit knocking about...

Lovely bright red colour. I bet it would look handsome with white bar tape and white saddle, but you'd have to brave to try and keep it clean :D

That's not a bad idea, but I don't know that I'll stick with the same colour when I get it resprayed anyway. I might think about white cotton bar tape to replace the black but it depends on the eventual colour of the bike.

Have just scored a Mavic rear derailleur on French eBay for 20 Euros, the seller says it has the stop plate and it also has two decent-looking pulleys so I might not need to bastardize any Shimano bits. Here's hoping...

Back