Son you've got £800ish to spend on a full suss ideas please!

Had a quick look and seems a bit more of an "All Mountain" rather than "XC" also seems quite heavy?...

Yes its definatly an AM bike 160mm travel and does weigh around 32LB
but it pedals uphill amazingly well beleive it or not, probably because im not sqaushed up on the bike like i am on a medium size.

Well I think I'm hoping for more of an XC bike under 30lbs....Think my heart is set on a Marin to be honest, but a nice bike non the less!

Maybe look at a Boardman, brand new the are around the £900 mark and get a good write up, always seem to win best in catogary in what bike mag.

...Its done! Got a 2008 Marin Rift Zone lx/xt mix, stroker brakes etc in a large with "mercury gloss" finish! And cheers to Brocklanders for bringing it to my attention!

Only shame was its in Ireland so going to have to wait for it to be delivered! But I spoke to the guy and he seems to have kept it well maintained and bared used it since he bought it from new. Only downside is i was hoping for lockout on the front and rear shocks, so may have to put that on the shopping list!...

Don't immediately start looking for forks/shocks with lockout - I don't have them on my modern FS and haven't really missed them.

If you're coming from a retro background you might think that you want them, but why have a FS if you're just going to make it feel like a rigid bike? I can understand in the US where they have fire road climbs lasting several hours, but over here it's really not needed...

Honestly, it's just a different style of riding climbing on a FS; try it first!

Back