1997 Santa Cruz Heckler: Updated Page 16

1st jan 2012 update

I've been meaning to make this update for a while. I've got the heckler built up and she rides perfectly, however.... One of the brake mounts on the swing arm seems to have been welded at the wrong angle when the bike was made, meaning when I put the v's on, they didn't line up. As a temporary fix I bent one of the bosses with a hammer just so that the bosses lined up and I could run brakes. The downside with that is that the boss is weak and has a hairline crack in it so even though I've put a brake booster on for strength I wouldn't trust it to stop me when flying down a hill at 30mph!!

I've been on the look out for a new swing arm for the past month or 2 now and I've been mainly looking at pre disk frames so that the heckler looks original for a 98 (and more retro) I currently have my eye on a 96 frame which is cracked on the front tri and hopefully it is of no use to anybody and I can get my hands on it relitively cheap. Even though the front is damaged the swing arm is practically mint condition and I can use it for spare bushings as well. I should have that by next week or the week after (fingers crossed) and I'll update with some pictures of the rebuild then.

Sean

bad stroke of luck about the brake boss but from the sound of things, you'll make it right. I really like how its looking. My 96 Y has a polished rear triangle too.

dmccart2":7719we9z said:
bad stroke of luck about the brake boss but from the sound of things, you'll make it right. I really like how its looking. My 96 Y has a polished rear triangle too.

I've bought a new swing arm now, paid for it this afternoon. I prefer the 96 anyways, non disk mount and I much prefer the fropouts

Sean

dmccart2":2nfhkwbg said:

I've bought a new swing arm now, paid for it this afternoon. I prefer the 96 anyways, non disk mount and I much prefer the dropouts

Sean

Back