1994 Manitou FS - new pics!

konasexthreerider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Here it is, my Manitou FS!

I remember dreaming about this bike years ago and I still think it looks the nuts today. I've backed off with the anodising, my thoughts are less is more!

Build is as follows:

16" Frame with matched front forks
Answer ATAC stem
Ringle seatpost
M739 XT Groupo with the exception of M910 XTR rear mech
Chris King headset
USE handlebars
Rolf Satellite wheels with Easton QR's
WTB V-Race seat with ti rails

Hope you like it!

Attachments

• DSCF1652.jpg
    DSCF1652.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,621
  • DSCF1643.jpg
    DSCF1643.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,621
  • DSCF1637.jpg
    DSCF1637.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,621
  • DSCF1647.jpg
    DSCF1647.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,621
That looks rather nice, I quite fancy one of these myself, any idea what they roughly weigh in at with a build such as your XT build?

Wow stunning build like it alot. Can't wait to finish mine now :cool:

IMO simply the best looking full suspension bike of any era - and the only aluminium framed bike I would ever consider buying... :cool:

when i first saw one of these i was blown away, the back end is a work of art, imo it needs cantilever brakes. i hope it is crack free.
stunning bike.

Yes-beautiful looking bike, Dug always made a looker. But does the rear end work, I run manitou 3s on me RTS-1, fantastic (for age) going down hill but bobs on the climbs if not adjusted to hard (even with an extra rubber in um). So I would assume the rear unit is the same, and would bob even more with the riders wait over the back-end.
We all know the crack problems with the frames also (head tube & B/T), so yes great looker but is the manitou FS a great MTB. My Zaskar and RTS have been hammered for years and show no signs of stress. The Sanandreas are fantastic climbers, All from the same decade.
Yes it’s a beautiful bike to look at, but not such a great ride and dare I say it, the rich T bisect of the MTB world. Remember the nursery rime the emperors’ new suit :LOL: .

The above bike is a credit to its owner in condition and theme chosen :cool: .

I know IM going to be slatted for the above comments :cry: , they are only my opinions and seem I stand-alone in the MTB retro world :( . :

Very nice :cool: , agree with the comment about the brakes though, would look better with Canti's (no redundant cable stops on the forks), if it was mine i'd have 32 spoke wheels on it too but thats a personal thing.

Had an FS a couple of years ago, like most it was a dream bike BITD, main frame was ok but it had been repaired at the chainstays, which was good as it made me feel not guilty at all about hammering it down Glentress :), found the bike rode downhill very well despite only two inches of travel, loved it but had my time with it and moved it on.

New pics of the Manitou FS

Managed to get hold of a half decent camera so I've got some new photos on here. Unfortunately they've had to be re-sized to 30% to be uploaded onto Retrobike so the quality is still not that good. One day I'll get some pics on here that do the bike justice!

Thanks for your comments.

The brake situation was really hard. I hate cantilever brakes with a passion (I can never get them set up well!) but admit it would definitely look better with them on. However, I went for V-brakes as the intention was to ride it and not to look at it. I don't think anyone can argue that V brakes are better working brakes, likewise disc brakes are better than V brakes!

Back