Late 70's Mercier

vivelesalpes

Retro Guru
Just bought a late 70's Mercier as a winter project. I'm aiming to upgrade it using parts that were around in the 70's. I've already started by aquiring a ideale leather saddle and Stronglight 93bis chainset and am after a matching Normandy Hub for the back wheel.

Current spec as follows:

Frame: 28/26 steel

Bar Tape: kermit green

Brake Levers/Brifters: Mafac
Brake Calipers: Mafac

Shifters: Simplex
Front Derailleur: Simplex
Rear Derailleur: Sachs Huret Eco Mk11

Cassette: 5 speed

Cranks: Solida

Pedals: Lyotard

Rims: Lyotard on the Front, Nisi on the back
Hubs: Normandy Luxe on the front - non descript on the back
Hub Skewers: Maillard

Tyres: Rather crusty Hutchinsons

Saddle: Selle Royal Course

Weight: Quite a bit but not as heavy as some.

This is the bike:

photostream

Here it is:

6319509729_e5b3ee3881_b.jpg

It looks to be very clean, nice bike. I've just bought a similar one and hope to get it as clean as yours! Then we can start a Mercier thread. Mine is a sort of gunmetal colour - I'm not extrovert enough for Poulidor pink...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just taken some photo's of my Mercier now I've bolted a few replacement bits on it. Amongst them are:

Stronglight TS bis Chainset with Lyotard pedals and Afa toeclips.
Velo Orange French Bottom Bracket
MAFAC Racer brakes
Beleri Handlebars + new tape
Huret Success shifters

I've a pair of Maillard hubs and a Maillard 700 freewheel on its way from t'eBay France and I'm going to build some new wheels as the front steel rim is a bit to exiting for me to ride down some of the Peak District decents on.

I'm tempted by a rather nice Peugeot Super Competition frame that I've seen and can't make my mind whether to buy that and put all the bits on this bike on it.

French bits

I have a mint Shimano 600 arabesque crankset with French pedal threads and a pair of Lyotard quill pedals, also nice pair of sprints with Pelissier rear hub and large flange Shimano 600 front, tubs all good and holding air, and a couple of atom freewheels should anyone feel the need...? :)

Back