oh my god..call the Style Police - Pace needed rescue...!!!

Pace

Would Bin the Spinergies and the O So numb looking Strongarm Cranks, A nice set of Race Face Turbine, Middleburn, Cooks or Tune Cranks in Black would look and perform way better with a proper 42/32/24 set up. AND a nice XTR 12/28 rear block, not the mega heavy 34 big sprog-weigh a tonne Oh my God looks like 9 Speed, could eat meat and five veg of it job. Pace bikes were always about being fairly minimalist, gr8ly improved, but still a little cluttered. The Vee's where should be a nice set of Canti's looks a bit nasty too.

yep looks much better, but put the wheels back on without the green tyres ;)

If funds allow would change the cranks too for something more angular.

Lots better. Praise be to square!

(Trim the steerer; loose the spinergys - just not right, sorry; and remove all of the fleabay not original stickers from it; green tyres were a no-no too)

sorry if that sounded really negative, if you like the wheels keep em - I just don't think tribladed forks look good on anything bar tri bikes. You've done a grand job restoring some dignity to the bike. The really big no-no is the stickers - why try and rebadge it as an f8 when it's an f5? The union flag sticker (I'm assuming it has a pace logo on, bought from ebay) would look good on your toolbox, but not on the bike.
Keep up the good work fella!

I take the criticism on the chin! :)
I know I have still got to make changes here and there - but I didn't think I had done too bad to say that retro bikes are new to me. :oops:
I love the wheels, I have only just bought them so they will be stopping on for now.
I still have all the original bits that I have changed, i.e. syncros stem,mavic headset,bar ends, both wheels etc....
Some stickers were off ebay as the ones on it when I bought it were rather tatty. The headtube decal is original as is the one on the seat tube.
The Pace F8 sticker was not put on to dupe people into thinking it is an F8.
I did not really know what model it was until later on after I had added the stickers! I know now that it is an F5. :)
The only reason the steerer tube has been left a little on the long side, was because I have also got a I beam square stem which I originally fitted and this was 15mm taller than the rc45. So I fitted a 15mm spacer to compensate for when I put the pace stem on, rather than shortening the steerer. ;)

Doogie,
It really is a MAJOR improvement mate, people here just have their own opinions and then there's the 'unwritten rule book' of how to/how not to build a Pace as well....

You've done good, I wouldn't change much myself, cranks (for Middleburn or Race Face), pedals (for something less 'freeride') and maybe the Spins (but i've always thought they look ok-ish on a Pace).

It's probably the whole weight thing with the Spins.....Pace's are skinny-Light-as-Fook race bikes and Spins are heavy......but it's just opinions and its YOUR bike ;) ;) ;)

The wheels I currently have on this bike are not spins, they are spinergy rev x roks and they are not heavy. :LOL:
I think they look great and they are different. :D

Sure carbon can break as can anything in time. Pace frames have been known to crack around the welds now and again! :cry:

Spec

Original spec was Sun Rims, Ringle, Hope Ti-Glide, or Pace hubs, Race face Turbine Cranks, Syncros or Race Face stem and post, Ringle Headset, Answer or Renthal bars, brakes- your choice but must be Canti's, Silver XTR would be good. The Pace stems were soft as I don't know what and twisted and set to an angle badly, Renthal rc 130 bars snapped so Answer were used instead. Drive was usually XT bar Cranks.

Back