Coed Y Brenin, my favourite trail centre

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
just with that thread title i hear some of you throwing up! :LOL:

yes, i am one of those, i admit it, i like trail centres. i know some of you don't but i love the fact i can turn up at a place and know the length of the route and know i am not gonna get lost because there are signs etc. don't get me wrong i love riding out in the real world of un-sanitized cross country but trail centres are designed to specifically have fun on certain types of terrain that usually don't figure in (certainly my) normal cross country riding.

hills, rocks, climbs, descents, water crossings, i have pretty much none of that around me, so i am sure you understand why i spend alot of time behind the wheel of the van to go to trail centres like coed y brenin.

anyway, after the cannock meet i went off to stay at the royal ship inn in dolgellau, it's reasonably priced and about 5 mins drive to the start of the trails. perfect.

so today i started riding the MBR trail, but i added an extra climb just so i could do the 'adams family trails' which i think are some of the best downhill trails in the UK, regardless of trail centre or not. i was out riding for about 3 hours, it rained for about half the ride, but not so much that it was annoying. also i was using the newly rebuilt for less downhill duty Patriot66, which was awesome going downhill and surprisingly not too bad on the climbs.

as i was riding i was thinking, defo wouldn't like to ride retro here as the trails are very abusive but i was wondering if anyone would be interested in a modern (hence bike chat 1998->) meet here when the weather is a bit nicer?

lets face it we all have loads of bikes of all types so some of you must have a trail centre capable bike! :D

i usually use my ST4, 100mm at the rear 120 at the front which works fine, the patriot as it's set up at the mo is 130mm front and rear and was loads of fun today. :D

so anyone interested in a modern meet at Coed Y Brenin at some point?

here's a pic

Attachments

• patriot at coed y brenin.jpg
    patriot at coed y brenin.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,125
I experienced coed-y-brenin for the first time and found that much like you it had a lot of things that my more regular local riding just doesn't have ie a shedload of rocks, slabs, downhills and some man-made features.
Definately worth revisiting at some point.
I rode it on a 97' Proflex and tbh it was a hard & punishing ride on that, both bike & rider take a beating lol! But I did see quite a few folk on hardtails, including a chap in his 50's on a Scott with retro marzocchi forks, so maybe 2" of travel then. :-0

I used to head out there back in the early nineties for camping and walking, took our rigids up the hills and drank ourselves stupid (not too many drinks needed in my case) back at camp, which was Forestry owned and campfire friendly.

Some day I would love to check out the new facilities.

I've yet to experience one.
They weren't around when I was last into biking and not had the time yet this time round.
They sound good, I can't see whats not to like.

I've not been there yet..not for want of trying though :?
I've driven past 3 times in the works van with the bike in the back, but no time to stop :x
I'd certainly be up for it later in the year.

Currently (well until about 3 weeks ago) loving Brechfa :D
Mainly as i've found a shorter way to get there so it now only takes 20 mins :D :D happy days ;)

is that where we went for the old world champ ?

really nice place and good trails . I actually wish I stayed longer and took my modern ride as it would have been even better .

but it is too far for me .

My first trail centre experience was a CYB. Me and a mate stayed at the Tyn-y-groes hotel. This was just after the original Red Bull route had opened, 1996?. No-one on the trails and spent all day riding and all night drinking.

i went there for my birthday the other year, and dispite my rear brake giving up after 15 mins and my BB bearings after 30 mins, it was honestly the best ride i've been on.

absolutely loved the adams family sections.

sounds like we need to get a meet sorted at some point then!

i have stayed at the Tyn-y-groes hotel myself, £55 per night (no wifi) it's ok although a little overpriced now and you're limited because of the location. i find that dolgellau is better because there is a choice of pubs for the evening aswel as a few shops incase you've forgotten anything.

it is a long drive for me though aswel, about 4 1/2 hours so i tend to drive to afan or cannock in the morning, ride then continue on so i can then ride the next day at coed y brenin, it works for me as it splits up the driving.

the hotel i use is £55 per night if i am on my own but it's £40 a night if 2 share a room which i think is pretty reasonable these days, includes a good breakfast and wifi.

when the national calender comes out in full i'll look at dates etc and see if we can organise something for the spring/summer.

the centre itself has a choice of trails, good showers and a good cafe (although at times very busy) aswel as a good bunch of lads at the bike shop and they do have rental bikes if you'd rather kill their bike rather than your beloved retro beastie!

:D

Re: .

Grannygrinder":xq7i0w92 said:
I've not been there yet..not for want of trying though :?
I've driven past 3 times in the works van with the bike in the back, but no time to stop :x
I'd certainly be up for it later in the year.

Currently (well until about 3 weeks ago) loving Brechfa :D
Mainly as i've found a shorter way to get there so it now only takes 20 mins :D :D happy days ;)

The raven trail is fantastic. Wish I lived 20 mins away. We normally hire the brechfa bunkhouse and make a weekend of it.

Back