o'brien pics now added

any good on dating this bike yet folks or any more history stugglinging finding info i dont want to send it to be painted if its a rare one

I have just bought one of these and am curious as to it's history. Did you ever find anything out?
As far as I can see by trawling the web, there were two shop/dealers in Coventry called O'Brien, although they may be the same thing?!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/6113498275/
http://oldbike.wordpress.com/1909-coven ... oad-racer/

I can't find anything relating to a Concorde International though. There was an Italian/Dutch company called Concorde in the '80s, but I can't find any Internationals. Could this be one of them, but with a sticker from Coventry? Or do you reckon it was built by O'Brien? Any idea on dates?

About the only thing I think I can tell is that it isn't a Rory O'Brien of Romford.

Any help would be appreciated guys..

I bought one of these bikes from brand new when I started my paper round at age 13. Got it through my parents' mailorder catalogue and rode it into the ground doing my round.

I started the paper round late summer 1979 and must have got the Concorde late that year or very early the next. Had the stupid short mudguards that were in vogue then and cottered cranks.

Not sure what happened to it after I left home. Probably got chucked by my dad. Brings back memories though seeing the same green bike and the white decals!

Ian

I've had several Rory O'briens and I can assure you that the above pics/or decals are not a Rory O'Brien of Manor Park or Romford in Essex.
I did have one of the "Obriens" named above but it was a roadster-style cycle.

This is a Rory O'Brien I purchased in 1977 from the Romford shop. It has heart-shaped cut-out lugs . . . "Prugnat?"

Attachments

• IMG_1466 (616x346).jpg
    IMG_1466 (616x346).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 703
Re:

I had an O'Brien Border Chieftain in the late 70's as my first drop barred bike. Just a five speed and not a bike or brand of the highest quality. Mine came from Coventry but they also had an outlet in Heron Way in Nuneaton in the 80's that my mate worked in and I worked in Halfords round the corner.

Back