FTW's Yeti Ultimate bike

Good one nevadasmith :LOL: But white taperlites are a couple years too late for my FRO so can't really rob em for that build

Just so you know, that is just an Ultimate that was sold by FTW. The first Ultimate was sold by John Parker, is black with a welded serial and resides in California.

I'm not sure that is strictly true bushpig.

From what I understand, CH, JP and FTW built the original sample frame and FTW fabricated the tooling. That frame sold for $3600 a while back and was indeed the original prototype Ultimate frame. I am not claiming that's what this bike is. For starters the proto was flat black with a bunch of coloured squares!

But while proving all the tooling, they built a few additional samples. That is where this frame/bike comes from, it is the frame Frank grabbed for himself.

I could be wrong of course, but that is my understanding...

bushpig":1iiq4370 said:
Just so you know, that is just an Ultimate that was sold by FTW. The first Ultimate was sold by John Parker, is black with a welded serial and resides in California.

Hardly "just an Ultimate sold by FTW" I'm not sure that's really "just"ified.

Great purchase. Get it fettled the way you want and so nice pics and a sure BOTM there I should think.

mcrocker":2riuiwwk said:
Hardly "just an Ultimate sold by FTW" I'm not sure that's really "just"ified.

I think what bushpig means is that it's a production Yeti Ultimate owned and sold by FTW. It was one of his personal bikes but not necessarily anything outstandingly rare when you set aside the great provenance and the worthwhile cause.

Super bike though, I love mine even without the great provenance.

As you probably know, the original ultimate didn't have the loop stay of yours and used a number of FTW and CH parts:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=75504

Just as a thought, did you not ask FTW about the full history, he's a guy who loves to share and I'm sure he'd give you all the info you could ever want and more!

Elev12k":1iuiswme said:
The story Frank wrote on BF a couple months ago >>>

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... light=yeti

Problem with that story, and the additional info added by others in that thread, is that there are a number of factual inaccuracies and errors such as the suggestion that the matt black frame with painted squares was the magazine mock up which it basically wasn't, it was Yeti Ultimate #1.

I think you may have to push Frank for extra memories or maybe contact CH or JP for extra clarity.

The magazine mockup precedes the black bike, which looks like a regular Yeti. The MBA Ultimate bike looks like a Gecko Genesis.

Nothing to say against the cool bike from FTW and definitely a good back story, just not the first Ultimate.

Back