Post new years ride.

Unfortunately I suspect you'll be starting too early for me - Guildford is an hour and three quarters from Hove by train (via Havant!), and £20. Horsham and meet you en route could be feasible I suppose.

38 miles of flattish trail doesn't sound all that much, but when I rode this trail in mid-winter, not much of it was fast, and quite a lot was heavy going. Three of us met up in Horsham, did some Sustrans-related recce work around Horsham, followed by the run back to Shoreham, so I suppose approaching 30 miles in all, and we reached Shoreham just before dusk with no pub stops. Doing the full 38 miles twice in a day in mid-winter would be a major epic IMO.

What time will you be leaving Guildford?

Don't get too excited Pete! I'm afraid this was just for Chris Boocock of Sustrans and a couple of others of us to clue ourselves up about some of the cycleways around Horsham and also some of the access issues arising from proposed housing developments. Sadly Chris no longer works for Sustrans and his replacement doesn't seem to be anything like as well engaged, so I couldn't tell you whether anything came of that as far as Sustrans is concerned.

It was under the auspices of the Countryside Access Forum for West Sussex, of which I am still a member. If you or anyone else has any concerns about access issues in West Sussex, please let me know.

Ok thanks for that Anthony, I'll have a look over on the forum when I get a bit of spare time.

Cheers, and enjoy the downs link ride everybody.

im not sure if a start point & finish point has been confirmed? a one way ride for me may be a bit tricky especially if ending in guildford as id then have to catch a train back down, to take my car back up..

but ill try to work something out if the route takes another direction

It is warpedboy2's idea, but he seems to have been away.

One option is to gather at Horsham Station, ride 20 miles to Shoreham, scout out some fish and chips, or lunch at the Red Lion, then cycle back to Horsham.

Whatever the plan, I think it needs to finish at the same place it started, and 38 miles twice is way too much for midwinter.

that sounds great Anthony, if anyone else is up for that then count me in as I can easily get to Horsham.
I'll struggle to get a my retro bike ready in time though (fork issues) so you may have to put up with my lurid orange Soul.

I am up for this! I live in guildford so am happy to ride to or from guildford depending on the general consensus.

I did do the brighton beach cruise this year though and cycled to it from guildford, so this should be a lot easier!!

I look forward to hearing the final plan for the ride.

Dan

Back