Modernising a 1983? Carlton Raleigh Record Ace- With Photos

Think i have worked the date out. Looking at it again it looks like WS0003861 which would be Worksop, December, 1980, 3861. But then this doen't sit right, in 1980 Carlton produced 72,000 according to Tony Hadland's Raleigh book, being a December frame the frame number should be a lot higher for a bike built at the end of the year?

That's a nice looking frame, I like the wiggle on the rear dropouts for instance. It's obviously completely different to the Record Ace complete bikes from the early-mid 80s with it's Campag dropouts and braze-ons for gear levers. I assume the top tube sticker celebrates Zoetemelk's victory in the 1980 Tour De France.

I'd keep away from modern components if it was mine as the "patina" and general style wouldn't suit it. Get a nice Suntour/Sakae transmission or even splash out on Campag Nouvo Record if you like.

Mark.

If you want to modernise it but still look "period" why not try some early Campag Ergos etc. Whilst they won't time match the frame they were fitted to steel frames of that style. The date of the frame will not be noticed except by real Raleigh experts and you will have a nice rideable bike.

Cheers Matt and Mark

I want to use it on my club ride, so maybe Campag Ergos stuff would be best. I have a limited buget too. I would be nice to know what it was kitted out with at the start.

shawnryan":11aj133q said:
Cheers Matt and Mark

I want to use it on my club ride, so maybe Campag Ergos stuff would be best. I have a limited buget too. I would be nice to know what it was kitted out with at the start.

Possibly similar to the Pro-Am 12, Suntour f/r mechs, Sakae BB, Weinmann 500 brakes etc...

Another photo outside this time. I weight the bike and it was 19.2 lbs. I am thinking maybe leave old school and use a new bike for the club rides. I could put bar end shifters on it which were 70-80s and build it up slowly with campy stuff. Would love to do a vintage ride on it.

Attachments

• IMG_9167.jpg
    IMG_9167.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 913
Hello

It is the export model of the Raleigh Record Ace. I had one back in the day. As an older friend from my cycling club worked at Raleigh and my frame was returned as it had a few marks on it.

I used it everyday when I was a student in Manchester, it was a great frame until a car pulled out in front of me on the Oxford Road just before my finals, I went into the side of the car, the car had a dented door and I thought my bike was ok. I got back on it and the front mudguard was rubbing on the down tube I had bent the forks; top tube and down tube.

Keep the bits and bought a Carlton frame after I graduated.

You will be able to run Ergos etc with 126 spacing - you have to bully the wheel in, but it will go in, and will work. Cold setting can be a minefield. My '83 Carlton Corsair (531 t'out) was "professionally cold set" by previous owner's choice of gorilla. Had a whoopsie recently where the chain took out the derailleur and dropout - when I got it to a proper bike builder's to be repaired he discovered that every tube behind the seat tube was bent in a different direction - we think from the attempted cold set. As such, to repair the dropout and sort out the other tubes, then respray would cost me £400+ and as such, it's a goner. Been replaced with a new Ribble Audax frame. :(

That's nice. I'd bin the vintage Campag idea and go with period Suntour. Much cheaper and better with it. And a bit more interesting. I have a UK market Record Ace with Suntour (the Cyclone GT rear mech is as good as almost any mech you'll find and the shifters are the perfect match) -and it's excellent. The only mod I made was to change the Weinmann brakes for Suntour Superbe which are rather better.

Mine is only a little older than yours being from about October 80.

Back