Your most memorable retro related memory of 2011

building up some bikes as gifts for two of my nephews with some retro frames and some sprinkling of retro bits. taking them, as well as my wife and sister on their first ever XC excursion this summer. :cool:

satisfaction came in the honest gratitude received by the pair even though the bikes didn't look very pretty, somewhat frankenstein'ish to be honest. :oops: but in the end, they knew how much effort was put into assembling them, and they out performed their antique department store BSO by miles.

I've really enjoyed my Retrobike 2011 :D

From finishing the Mongoose to winning the Karma Kona U'hu.

But most of all i have enjoyed the National series , especially Mayhem, even though i didn't ride, the weekend of tent, beer, heckling,grown men in bear suits :LOL: and general good time made up for that (look out Mayhem 2012).

I managed to get to 4 of the National rides & enjoyed all of them even though i wasn't ready for the hills on the Peaks ride :oops:

But the most enjoyable aspect has been meeting many like-minded ,similar aged( :LOL: ) blokes into old bikes as much as me :)

I look forward to seeing you all again in 2012.

Positives:

Finally buying myself a Fat Chance SAB,
Laying my hands on lots of nice bits thanks to users of this site for the Fat,
Handing my Zaskar frame over to drystonepaul to have it polished up as I CBA!.

Negatives:

Stripping my SAB to have it restored and wondering if I will ever see it again LOL.

Best bit: Flying through the air as I went for a massive burton on my newly acquired XCR 2000 and hearing my significant other howling with laughter before I'd even stopped rolling in the dirt....then watching her topple to a halt as a result of mirth overload :LOL:

Dull bit : finally finishing my '94 Zaskar and realising the fork bushes are no longer fit for purpose

Thankyou to everyone on this site who has helped me out over the year

Best bits were getting most of my old fittness back and piloting my 18 year old 1993 M-trax around the Monkey on cannock chase and keeping up with the modern boys. :cool:

Worst bit has to be spending a year on this site, my bank balance is ruined :LOL:

Retro related memories from 2011? The following will remain with me for a while:

MM - for the general bonhomie, the light show, the borderline abusive heckling, riding only a single lap on my own bike and riding my first geared laps on my 6th year of participating. But the real standout was riding a night lap in a bear suit on Prof. K's Hamdale and, on passing someone on the long grassy climb out of the arena, hearing "I'm giving up cycing, I've just been passed by a ****ing bear". Do cycling memories get any better than that?

Well, maybe, as that leads on to an ss ride in the FoD in April. Picture the scene. A bright sunny day but with a bit of chill still in the air. Pine needles littered the ground with the trails dry, dusty even. No one about, apart from the 4 of us big dogs. Well, 3 big dogs plus me (some of you will know Del and know that he is pretty quick. Jason is as quick, possibly quicker ss. Then there is Dan, quicker/fitter still, who set off at 5 a.m. to ride to the Forest before dishing the hurt). A pattern to the ride soon developed - ride up the climbs together, get dropped on down or flat, chase like mad to get back on at the foot of the next climb, blow out of my **** up the climb, then reprise. After an hour I felt like I had been expertly beaten up by the Romanian Secret Police - I was aching all over but there wasn't a mark on me. By two hours my legs felt as though they had been slowly, almost tenderly, pulled from my body and then re-attached with baling twine. Clearly my only hope was to unleash the artisan pork pies on the group - take that you fast ****ers! Bellies bulging with processed, expertly seasoned pork product, the pace slowed momentarily before picking up again. We covered all the classic trails - The Widow Maker, The Follow Through (I almost did), The Velvet Garden (I wanted to sleep on the moss), The Skull, Dungeons and Dragons (yes, you did have to roll a 10 on a d12 to start). Finally we reached the car. We'd seen no-one all day, not even any walkers. My legs were smeared with a sticky combination of dust, sweat and abject fear and felt as if they had been hollowed out by a blunt, titanium spork. My face was salt encrusted and deeply lined. But my heart was light and my soul was singing - a great day out in superb weather on perfect trails with great company. Really, do cycling memories get any better than that?

Well, yes and no, although The 3 Peaks was memorable for slightly different reasons. For those that can be bothered, more details are at http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ight=peaks, a day that will remain long seared into my memory and surely the highlight/lowlight of 2011.

well for me it was realising the dream of
1st buying a rc100,
2nd having the funds to restore it.
so apart from the wheels which will be done some time very soon, i have finished it.
i'll be out for some retro rides in 2012, just need to build up my fitness levls.

Attachments

• IMG_4666.JPG
    IMG_4666.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_4387.JPG
    IMG_4387.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 789
Back