drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
1993 Raleigh Apex K2

RB-Cannock11_Apex.jpg

December 2011

Freshly built up the night before the Turkey Twizzler, here's another addition to the fleet.

Utilising a selection of more or less period correct parts including the 1993 only Exage ES mechs and cantilevers matched up to some spongey Dia Compe SS5 levers.

The main reason it got built for this ride in particular was due to the original spec of blackwall tyres. After the last two trips to Cannock being dirty mud fests, I couldn't bear the thought of ruining another set of skin walls. I'm also pleased to have a pink bike to match my ETTO helmet.

So this rolls on Ritchey Z-Max rubber and has sensible all steel chainrings for the ultimate retro winter drivetrain.
Deore thumbies perform their always reliable shifting duties and a battered Velo Ti saddle provides a reasonably comfortable perch.

It is a 21" frame though, which is an inch or two bigger than I'd usually opt for. The head tube is really long and front end is about the same height as some of my modern bikes with big forks and riser bars. Despite this, the reach is about average for what I'm used to.
Cornering does require a fair bit of body language and lean in, but overall it's a good starting point.

Not sure where to go next with it, perhaps some drop bars and singlespeed.

I'm happy just to have finished another bike and ridden it in the meantime.
I'll add some detail shots when I've taken them.

paul's apex

nice to see that. not many around now.

i had one(got nicked) and had a flex-stem. not a bad groupset either iirc, shimano 300LX? etc..

good honest mountain bikes :cool:

The 1992 model had the 400LX. This 93 version would've had the M320 Exage LT groupset which was the successor of 300LX.

The Exage ES I've used has an M520 number so roughly the equivalent of the previous 500LX.

It's good honest stuff for sure.

1993 Catalogue:
1993-Apex-catalogue.jpg

1992 Catalogue:
inside_5_0002_144.jpg

May 2012

Had a bit of a play around with this rather large Apex frame. The long headtube/short toptube combination suggested that it may work with drop bars, so that's what I've gone with.

Not having any bar end shifters and having an inkling for a relatively high geared singlespeed has meant I've opted for 40:16 gearing. This is perfect for flat canal towpath and disused railway type rides where my previous singlespeeds have proved to be a little undergeared.

I decided to utilise an Exage ES rear mech to provide chain tensioning along with a short length of gear cable to allow fine tuning with the barrel adjuster.
The rest of the components are also Exage ES M520 or LT M320 which matches up nicely with the 1993 frame period.
The Exage hubs are laced to Bontrager BCX rims and the tyres are a Tioga Hound Dawg up front and a well worn Tioga Wonder Dawg on the rear.
The stem is a great little high rise T-Bone and the modern flared WTB Mountain Drop bars pay homage to the early drop bar mountain bikes. They are also very comfortable.
Finally, the saddle is still the battered old Velo titanium one I had fitted at Cannock.

And now for some really big photos:

93Apex-01.jpg

93Apex-03.jpg
93Apex-04.jpg

93Apex-05.jpg
93Apex-06.jpg

93Apex-07.jpg
93Apex-08.jpg

93Apex-09.jpg
93Apex-10.jpg

93Apex-11.jpg
93Apex-12.jpg

93Apex-13.jpg
93Apex-14.jpg

93Apex-02.jpg

First couple of test rides proved that it's really good fun!

Love that Apex!!! :twisted:

The use of a short length of gear cable for fine-tuning the derailleur / tensioner set-up is a good idea, might pinch that.

Loving the drop bar apex, been wondering what to do with my old aPed frame and forks looks like I got a project! :)
As I can't rember what bottom bracket axle will I need for
Old non profile cranks, eg 400lx?

Back