brake levers... avid sd7 vs avid sl

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
simple question on this one folks, are sl's worth the extra cost over sd7 levers?

from my albeit brief research, the performance is pretty much the same but the sl's are that little bit lighter. magnesium body rather than alloy and silver finished rather than the black / charcoal of the sd7's.

in a nutshell, the sl's would look a lot better on my build but I have to justify paying the extra so... are they worth it? or is there a better, possibly older sd option that is the old equivalent?

they will be janking at a pair of avid arch rivals (not that it has a massive influence) so what were the levers matched to them when they were new?

I had the same dilemma when I got rid of the Maguras for XT v's, in the end I opted for the standard SD7's.
For me the extra money for the SL's was not worth it for the amount of weight saved, if I was going for a lightweight build or money was no object then I'd reconsider the SL's or probably go for KCNC or something like that.
The standard SD7's are great levers though and not exactly heavy themselves, although the dial itself is a bit gimmicky IMO as once I adjusted it I've never touched it since.
CRC are doing SD7's for £18 a pair, can't complain at that price, and the SL's are double the price at £35, I honestly don't think they are any better, just lighter by maybe 30g or so.

Back