Modernising a 1983? Carlton Raleigh Record Ace- With Photos

shawnryan

Dirt Disciple
I have a nice 531 Record Ace frame i would like to fit out with Campagnolo Veloce Groupset. The frame has Campagnolo 126mm dropouts which will need to be space to 130mm. If anyone has got any advice and ideas, so i don't cock it up would be appreciated. Also the frame says handcrafted by Carlton cycles, Worksop and has a Raleigh badge. The serial Number has WS and the year 1983. Frame size is 55 from BB to ST with a 56 top tube. I am a bit confused because i read that Raleigh Carlton closed in 1981. It was bought from a Dutch fellow who also selling an ex team TI bike. I have had quite a good look around but can't find the model. Can anyone shed some light?
Cheers Shawn

Also there are no eyelits for mudgards and the brake clearance is quite tight.
The paint job just like the Carlton Pro-Am but named a Record Ace.
http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/mybikes/80proam.htm

Good local bikeshop should be able to cold re-set the rear :) Does the frame have a black head tube and black seat tube panel ?

Shaun

Hi Shawn,
Welcome to RetroBike!

Is your frame a Record Ace or Road Ace? I only ask because I thought the Record Ace was more of a touring design with mudguard eyes and clearance for 27" wheels. In the 80s it would have been a greenish colour. The bikes that looked more like the Pro-Am colour-wise were either the Road Ace or the Competition. They were both built around close clearance frames without mudguard eyes. The Campag dropouts mark it out as a quality frame again slightly out of line with the production Record Ace frames of the mid-80s.

There are much more knowledgeable Raleigh fans on here who will probably know more about it than me, hopefully they'll be along soon.

If you can get some 'photos up that would be good.

Cheers,
Mark.

Hi daccordimark
Yea thats what i have found looking on-line and in a fews books, but the paint job just like the Pro-Am a light perl with Blue lines around the lugs Named as Record Ace. I too thought the Record Ace were touring bikes. It has Prugnat Lugs and Driver's helmet style slotted cable stops, and crome fork and chain stays. It does't look like the Record Ace's i have seen. going to take some pics tomorrow.

Here we go, just took some photos.
There no crome on the forks, got it wrong.
The number on the bb is WS000 then a sideway S followed by 86. it's in one of the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_9074.jpg
    IMG_9074.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,180
  • IMG_9116.jpg
    IMG_9116.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,180
  • IMG_9081.jpg
    IMG_9081.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,180
  • IMG_9087.jpg
    IMG_9087.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,180
I currently using fixed but would like to use it on the sunday club rides, living in Nottingham and all.

Attachments

• IMG_9091.jpg
    IMG_9091.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,180
  • IMG_9096.jpg
    IMG_9096.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,179
  • IMG_9102.jpg
    IMG_9102.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,180
  • IMG_9104.jpg
    IMG_9104.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,179
Nice! I'd get some gears on it myself! :LOL:

I have a Pro Am frame in my workshop like it. Been wondering for a while what to do with it....

Thanks, it could do with a clean. I thought it was an 83 but i am not sure now. i can't work the numbers out. I was thinking putting a new campagnolo veloce group on it, but it comes to the cost really, that why its fixed.

Back