2011 Turkey Twizzler aftermath thread

I loved the day it was epic as expected
Lots of climbing and I am even enjoying the descents now
Perfect numbers too and boy thet Dawes flew :LOL: Nice one
Lovely mince pies and a great pint thanks chaps it's all good see you on the next one ;)

Great ride all. Sorry I had to duck out early and I was sort of in trouble when I got back to the car park! I like the after ride stuff normally as well.

I managed to fall off once and pucture as well. Also my Flexstem lived up rather too well to its name as all the bolts came undone.

See you next time.

Yep great local ride for me with a lot of new and old faces,i think i coughed my round ok though,,oh and i promise i`ll ride Retro next year :)

An excellent day out. I was made to feel extremely welcome on my first Retrobike ride and work rota's permitting hope to make more. The riding was superb, having not ridden at Cannock for about 10 years, i have to say the trail builders have done a great job and the route that we followed put a big smile on my face. It was nice to give the Sunn a good workout. I felt even better when i got back to the car park with a big smile on my face and my mate was sat waiting, after going off with his racing whippet friends, not having had the greatest of rides. Hopefully see you again soon, i'll send you my work rota, so that you can plan the rest of the series round my weekends off. :D

What can I say that hasn't already been said as it really was a top day.

Oh yeah, what is it with those self retracting logs that stay camoflagued right up until you're approaching them at warp factor 7 then they just pop out at the last minute :LOL: Must have collected at least 4 of us, much to the crowd's enjoyment. I hope someone got some pics as my avatar needs updating.

I'm still amazed how comfortable riding rigid round a place like cannock can be, I'm sure it was harder than this back in the day. Then again most of my early bikes were aluminium so maybe a lesson learned ;)

As ever great to meet and chat to new people especially warpedboy2 for keeping me awake in the car on the way home (I was driving) :LOL:

Anyway hope to see you all again soon.

What an amazing day. Great to put some faces to names (we need to have badges made!).

Highlights for me were- the trails, the beer (thanks spencer), the bike jumble/chat at the end, and the last downhill (first time on a FS bike, felt like a proper downhiller for a minute or two!). Oh, and I only fell off twice!

But massive thanks to Chris for the lift (and rescuing me from the I laws!), and to the organisers. CHEERS!!!

Great day at Cannock again, the weather was fine and the trails were almost dusty in places.

Great to see everyone out there riding and visiting for the xmas feast at the end.
I only managed to get a few photos taken, which I shall upload later today. I did manage to capture Old Ned mid nose dive at the camouflaged log of near certain death.

My freshly built pink Raleigh Apex K2 handled well despite being excessively tall. It did require leaning over plenty in the corners which did become a bit scary at times.
At one point a passing modern rider exclaimed, "Wow, an Apex! I had one of them!"
He seemed to remember it fondly, which is nice.

Hearty thanks also to the aforementioned xmas feast. Spencer's beer was more than welcome and being invited to chug some hot mulled wine from a plastic pint glass warmed my bones in the chill wind.
Thank goodness I wasn't driving.

(I did make it to the evening's civilised gathering later on and drank several glasses of water.)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the post ride awards and of course the shot of Ed 'Piker Doonigan' Edwards.

A great day out. Thanks to the organisers. Spence, thanks for knowing where you were going and making it easy to get around. :cool:

Bikes of the ride for me were obviously the 90 Attitude, and I do love that Rocky Mountain, but the Dawes was pretty cool.

Great to put faces to silly internet names and real names to those faces.

And superb spread afterwards. Being neither a snob :LOL: or a prole ;) I was the obvious choice for the blind mince pie test between Tesco and Harrods....Actually, the winner was Tesco...(but that's just because Waitrose wasn't invited to attend. ;) :LOL:

So, I got lost en route. And that was because of my newly aquired sat nav device, which in true 'Windows' fashion decided to crash five mins before i needed to use it. So good old fashioned maps and my natural geographical intuition cut in and I just made it with enough time to even change tyres pre ride. :roll:

Some highlights...

*Great loop

*Superb and nearly dry trails

*Idi Armin's 500SEL with inclusive body bag/rug in the boot and bulletproof glass.

*Mince pies

*Full length flouro road mender's outfit being trumped for irony and style and not irony by flouro retrobikers. :cool:

*Meeting new nice bikey people

*Riding with old friends

Here's my only pic, after returning home at 9pm last night. All muddy like it's supposed to be.

Thanks to all for attending. See you in the lakes i hope.

:cool:

Attachments

• IF3.jpg
    IF3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,201
Back