2011 Turkey Twizzler aftermath thread

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Home finally after getting lost around Lichfield after somebody went and moved the A5...

Another excellent ride!

Lots of friendly faces plus a couple of new ones. Hope I managed to say hello to everybody.

Odd mix of almost summertime dry and winter gunk didnt stop us all embarrassing a few of the many modern riders that also seemed happy to join in.

Bizarre moment is watching a big bloke ride by in full hi-viz jacket and troos full railway worker style.

Kept being overtaken by a flying Dawes so that was nominated bike of the ride.

To answer the many questions, here is what I was riding BTW: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122960

Get home to be greeted by a loving girlyfriend, chicken stew and a crate of Carling. Havent the heart to tell her that I'm still stuffed with mince pies.

Man love to you all...

The Green Machine rolls again. Wish I could have been there but couldn't get my plates sorted in time.

awesome day s usual, dragged my arse out of bed at 6.15, left the house with an empty stomach at 7.10, satnav said i'd be late, but the arrival time was slowly going down, stopped at a little thief for a quick munch, in and out in 12 minutes, fed and watered!! :shock: :shock:

got to the start with 15 minutes to spare :D the van has a 'warp speed' option! :LOL:

i know the route now (except for Spence's last bit due to the last bit of the trail being closed) so i knew what to expect but i didn't expect it to be as dry as it was, massive bonus! :D :D

the munchies were great at the end, cheers Guv, and Mum of Guv! :D and thanks for the beer Spence!

good to see some new faces aswel, i am crap with names by the way! :oops: also good to see some of the old guard aswel :D

and just to annoy the people who have to work tomorrow, i am currently sat having dinner at the Royal Ship Inn in Dolgellau, north Wales, with a pint, ready to go hit the MBR trail (+extra stuff) at Coed Y Brenin in the morning :p

Great day , mainly consisted off : no brakes for 98% of the ride due to the pads being old and hard , chain coming off once, chain snapping once , me coming off twice ( see brakes ) and me running wide , narrowly missing trees ( also see brakes) !

A big thanks to everyone making it a great day out , special thanks to John and spencer for the mince pies / sweets/ cakes / mulled wine and beer !

See you all soon
:D

The Twizzler continues to be a worthy festive highlight - Cannock was kind to us today, as the weather has gotten pretty unfriendly around MCR now. The Bob Jackson sheered a front brake stud on the black run section rendering them rather ineffective, however it only served to quicken the pace at which its pilot, retro-rookie Mirek, chose to cover the ground. I trundled mid-pack with the Andy Powell performing faultlessly, if requiring a tad more body English on those sneaky switchbacks than other more nimble brethren. Good turn out too - well done all for making it happen. I think it fair to say we owned the trail, although the plucky railway workers cavalcade did put on a game showing. Pike of the Ride: Hot Carl Edwards was largely unmissed - I suspect the downhills would have found him out again...

Any stats out there - felt like a longish ride to these old bones?

home washed and fed

another great retro ride, great to see everyone out again and some new faces.

Thanks for the Karma, Mark, Pete, and Spenc'

also great Christmas spread, and thanks for the Bovril :D

Twizzler

Home, bathed, fed and aching.
I was a new face today and was made to feel very welcome so thanks to all.
Great ride, some fantastic bikes and the mince pies, refreshments and Noel Edmonds style swap shop (I now need to buy a bike to fit the Girvin Flexstem I bought from Spence) just topped it off.
I look forward to participating in many more.
Simon.

Thanks to those who organised and guided i had a great day. Singlespeed seemed a good idea yesterday, now i'm knackered but glad i managed to get around.

See you all again next time.

A really good day. Thanks to you all, particularly JV .
Cannock was not the mud-bath I expected, and reminded me that I really should visit more often.
Looking forward to The Lakes, and the rest of the National Series.
Happy New Year folks, hee's to great riding in 2012. :D

Another great Turkey Twizzler, good to see plenty of old and new faces. Great turnout too, especially given it was midweek and many will of course be working and the relative late decision on the date, think we had around 30.

A few random highlights

-The 80s metal. Mr K, Mr lee & Mirek (aka Mr K's ringer) all representing the decade which brought us Wham and the ZX81.
-The trails. Not just a BMX track, the trail builders up there have made some top stuff. Some quite tricky bits out the back of the Monkey too, kudos for those on rigid who rode them.
-LGF's green BoTR and his ex-Idi Amin Merc. Bulletproof as factory standard apparently.
-Apres ride beer, mulled wine, mince pies, sweets, bring and buy and banter.
-Drystonepaul's single handed demolition of 1 1/2 bottles of mulled wine and 2 pints. Hope he can keep it together for his dinner party later.
-Carl 'Douglas Jr' Edwards Pike of The Ride. I would post the picture of Ed resplendent in Bing Crosby jumper sat in his comfy chair that Mrs E posted on facebook yesterday but fear repercussions.

Look forward to pics, need to sort out a camera myself one day.

Bring on the Lakes :D

Back