'78 Koga Miyata Road Racer

that looks like a tight fit! Nice levers too. NOS or home polished? Mine are pretty scratched on the sides, so might go for polish on them.
My rear mech is a Shimano Crane, but I thought these were a bit older then 1978?

I'm pretty happy with my purchase! not as original as I thought, but when it's Dura Ace, who cares ;)

That's going to be a nice ride!

Think SR stems are good quality but undervalued. Yesterday came across a cheap 110 mm SR stem from a Koga, same period of yours (+handlebar and seatpost, check Marktplaats.nl)

toothpick":2qmt7lyd said:
That's going to be a nice ride!

Think SR stems are good quality but undervalued. Yesterday came across a cheap 110 mm SR stem from a Koga, same period of yours (+handlebar and seatpost, check Marktplaats.nl)

thanks! I bought a NOS 100 mm SR stem on ebay. 10 dollar BIN, not too bad I think?

What SR stem? They are all good, but they are not all Extra Super Lights with titanium hard ware. $ 10 for a NOS one is money well spent, no matter what.

Elev12k":3p5yqbop said:
What SR stem? They are all good, but they are not all Extra Super Lights with titanium hard ware. $ 10 for a NOS one is money well spent, no matter what.

it's just a "normal" version, no titan hardware. Same as what's on there now, but 4 cm longer (and NOS!). Should be perfect for me!

Did a couple of short rides now. Really impressed with this bike! The handling is great!
I have to get used to the shifting a bit, and the positioning on the bike needs some adjustments.

The tires need to be changed, there a little rips in both front and rear tire. I also changed the seat for a Turbo. Much better fit for my behind ;) , and the original one was pretty damaged.

going to buy brown Cane Creek hoods, and black handlebar tape soon!

indeed, the more expensive ones do look better. But happy with this one for now!

Here a pic of my one year younger ProRacer. It is basicly the same frame as your RoadRacer, but there are a couple things different: pearl orange, brazed on cable guides and painted tail.

With the full Champion #2 tubing the frame is comparable with a 531 butted frame, but finishing and in particular paint are nicer than with the average competitor's frame that was available at the time. The lug cut outs are enamelled, the BB shell is open, the vertical drop outs are chromed etc etc ...and of course Japanese typical flawless in execution. All things your frame has too.

6582564075_c71ed3fc70_z.jpg

Large pic under this link

This ProRacer is equipped with Dura-Ace EX. Nice post by Sugino and stem comes from SR (Super Light with flutes). Under the shown black tape sits brown cotton. The pic is of the previous owner. The bike didn't see much use with him, what is good for me.

When the FullPro and FullPro-L were introduced in 1980, the ProRacer disappeared. I think it sat too close to the FullPro of that year. A year later the FullPro went a tiny little bit upward and room was created for a ProRacer with slightly heavier tubing for fork and tail and the cut outs were no longer enamelled. Bottom line is the late 70s ProRacers had really fine chassis and it is unique your RoadRacer shares its frame with it.

Elev12k, Just curious, does the SR stem have a slot cut out of the front? I ran an SR stem on my TT bike with just such feature. :D

Do the flutes just go along the side?

Person Opposite me at work has a Koga....only a couple of years old but still being very well made :)

Cheers

Shaun

Midlife":2bzhc8l4 said:
Elev12k, Just curious, does the SR stem have a slot cut out of the front? I ran an SR stem on my TT bike with just such feature. :D

Do the flutes just go along the side?

Person Opposite me at work has a Koga....only a couple of years old but still being very well made :)

Cheers

Shaun

Along the side only for this particular stem.

All Extra Super Light stems I have here do have an open front, but no flutes.

Back