1999 kona hahanna

speedplay

Senior Retro Guru
I bought this for the mrs for xmas as I didnt want to risk her on one of mine (not worried about the bike honest :oops: )
I'm 6 foot 2 and Jenn is 5 foot 4..... hence problems with bike sharing.

I was looking for ages for something not too overkill but a good basic start for her.

I found this on the bay and it was just down the road from me in bedford too :)

When I got it it had a pair of rock shox judy race forks on it with 100 mm of travel..... :LOL:

Looked a "bit iffy" as its only a 14 inch frame and it made the steering a bit slack to say the least.

I had a dig about in the box to see what was left after me building up my 'dale and found a pair of old judy sl (think they were 96 with the black stickers) looking a bit beaten up.

I was going to respray them white but Jenn put her foot down and wanted them red (wish I had kept my old judy DH now instead of giving them away :( ) after a failed attemp to talk her round I painted them and fitted them tonight.

looks ok for a first bike for her and she loves it too.

spec :-

1999 14 inch Kona Hahanna
Repainted judy sl (with speed spring in the left leg)
acera x groupset with stx rc hubs and rapidfires.
club roost bars
planet x stumpy stem ( cause shes only short )
dmr flat pedals ( till she can find some spd shoes she likes :roll: )

Attachments

• 26012008076 (Medium).jpg
    26012008076 (Medium).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,209
  • 26012008077 (Medium).jpg
    26012008077 (Medium).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,209
Ideal.

I'm pretty sure it's a size 16 (they measure centre of bb to top of seat tube). That's the right kind of size and more suitable for a 5-3 adult than a 14 IMO. And yes the 14 and 16 do have a half degree slacker head angle anyway, so it'd be getting really seriously slack with a fork 30-40mm longer than it was designed for.

The only bit I don't like is that thing attached to the top of the seat post!

Anthony":i4e3250u said:
Ideal.

I'm pretty sure it's a size 16 (they measure centre of bb to top of seat tube). That's the right kind of size and more suitable for a 5-3 adult than a 14 IMO. And yes the 14 and 16 do have a half degree slacker head angle anyway, so it'd be getting really seriously slack with a fork 30-40mm longer than it was designed for.

I have measured it up and not sure now if it is a 14 frame.

And im not keen on the saddle but as its a womens saddle for a womans bike....it had to stay! :LOL:

speedplay":14q9mjm2 said:
Anthony":14q9mjm2 said:
Ideal.

I have measured it up and it is a 14 inch frame.

And im not keen on the saddle but as its a womens saddle for a womans bike....it had to stay! :LOL:

OK, no doubt you know best, but this is a 16 and it looks pretty much the same to me - on a 14, the top of the seat tube is below the level of the top of the wheels and the line of the top tube points almost at the back axle. The Hahanna should have the same geometry, except for a half inch shorter top tube.

Nice bike whatever it is, and I hope it helps you to ride together often - it's so much better for biking to be a shared thing than a divisive thing!

Attachments

• Lava Dome 012.jpg
    Lava Dome 012.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2,151
might have to re-measure then.... :?

we went out for a ride today, nothing too serious as shes not ridden for about 10 years! :LOL:

I did notice that she looked a bit cramped so have swapped the stem for a longer one.

Seems she is longer in the body than I thought...or just has stumpy legs :LOL:

shes been looking at the red club roost flat bars and some bar ends now she has noticed bar ends on most of my bikes...

Anthony":1dc2h681 said:
Ideal.

I was wrong!!

it is a 16 :oops:

Back