Old Merlin road bike Query

eviljoe

Dirt Disciple
Recently acquired a Yellow Merlin road bike- looks 70's. does anyone know anything about them ? Can find no serial numbers or markings...

Attachments

• RIMG0210b.jpg
    RIMG0210b.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,633
No idea at all on 'Merlin'. Any other markings on the frame? What tubing does it use?

I own a Merlin road bike as well. They were built by Mercian and sold in the mercian catalogue They are rare as hens teeth. Built out of reynolds 531 tubing. Paint job was the thing with these frames, nice and thick with a good coat of lacquer. The chromed fork and chainstay ends were a nice touch too but an extra.

There was a frame builder down south went under the name Merlin.

Jenny who I rode with in the Manchester Students MTB club about 92-93 had a Merlin road iron. Beautifully hand-lined lugwork and chrome a-plenty too as I recall.

Nothing to do with Merlin the cheap MTB company or Merlin the titanium high end frame manufacturer though.

EDITED.

Oh so Mercian made them did they?

What do you want for it? Looks about my size.

um.. make me an offer!

from memory it's a 56cm top tube, 56cm seat tube ;-) can do more pics if you want

Joe

Merlin was a Bob Jackson brand name, long before the US titanium brand. He also used to sell frames with JRJ badging.

VW Camper

Just checking the VW camperfest pic on eviljoes link - do the bikes go on the roof or the rear cos theyre gonna play havoc with the lambswool/walnut/leather.
And a bottle of Piper sitting waiting too! ........luck be a lady tonite!

Back