da FUNK phenomenon

For now I was just gonna strip it to bare aluminum and polish it up a bit perhaps. Seems there are quite a few that are in that state. I'm currently more focused on the puzzle of building it up than anything else.

However, it seems FUNK screams to be some VIBRANT colour. If I go with the Manitou three, perhaps I'll carry on with the electric blue from it.

What's your opinion? :)

RockiMtn":34ywors7 said:
What's your opinion? :)

I would go with paint. You are correct, there are a lot of Funks that are of the polished variety. Also, if you do paint the frame, don't paint the rear dropouts! Leave them bare aluminum as Daryl intended them to be. ;)

I was thinking about your missing a cable guide problem, you could get some hex socket head cap screw, drill a hole through the side of the head to hold the cable housing. Not the cleanest, but a temporary solution.

I had a metallic purple Funk (early 90's). Great bike which climbed like a dream and swapped it for a Mountain Goat.

Look forward to following the build - good luck :)

*Argh*… now I know why this brand is called FUNK. I've cursed a similar word several times now trying to get this project moving forward. First the cracked XTR headset crown race. And now this.

So earlier in the week, scored some XTR parts locally and one item happened to be a lovely f. mech with proper band size and pull. Today received the required NOS f. derailleur cable stop. Went to fit and low and behold, the XTR has a tab that's too wide to fit the slot on the cable stop arm. :roll: checked an XT f. mech (which isn't the right band size) and it fits. *sigh* FUNK ME! :(

Attachments

• IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 778
Pardon my input

The build seems to be holding up on the minor things. What about you get the frame powder coated the colour you want then to get it rideable and get some love/fun back out if it, set it up for singlespeed ?

At least you can then ride it whilst looking fir the additional kit/solutions?

nope, very logical input. not ridden this yet. perhaps i won't even like how it rides.

i would slap it together and give it a go, but i've not a seatpost for it yet. :( guess i should put some focus on that. :oops: :roll: :LOL:

i've been meaning to strip off the paint to really see the condition of it, but have been putting that off. perhaps this will happen over the holidays.

I ran into the EXACT same problem with my Trek 8700 Pro!! You can usually find those pieces on u-brakes or road bike parts. I was lucky to have 2 shops in the local area that specializes in pick-a-part still bike parts. Got it for like a $0.25. Good Luck and subscribed to this thread!!

Go Canada Go!

only 25¢? although it didn't break the bank, i'm embarrassed at the amount i paid for mine in comparison. :oops: :LOL:

i see yours bolts in squarely in the centre of original hole, while mines is connected with an arm.

now should i source an XT f.mech or another cable stop. :roll:

Back