'78 Koga Miyata Road Racer

Rio

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Finally, found a road bike... It's in pretty good condition. Hubs spin smooth, no brake wear on the rims, all original parts except for the handlebar tape and the stem I guess. Will take some better pics soon!

6555647465_ac87f78fdc_b.jpg

6555645909_a45c1d82ea_b.jpg

Those Koga's are crackers -
That will come up tidy as hell with a bit of elbo grease n tlc

You might want to drop the stem down looks like its ready to come out that high up

Thanks guys!

The stem needs to come down for sure, but this is a picture of how I picted it up. The "before shot", or something like that ;)
The stem is to short for me anyway and probably non original, so it has to go.

It's great indeed that you can find the catalogues from Koga on their website. Good for inspiration! (how the "after shot" should look like :shock: )

These are my plans for this bike:

-fix the tiny problems it has (front wheel needs to be trued a bit, little play on BB)
-find another stem (period correct but longer, need to figure out what size)
-ride it a couple of times
-then do a complete rebuild/clean/polish

If I ride it first, I know how this bike handles allready and that will make me more patient with the rebuild...

I do need some help on deciding what stem to use (period correct), what handlebar tape to use (black, but what brand looks the most 'retro'), and what to do on the brake hoods.

stem: I would go for SR
tape: black Tressostar cotton. Alternatively Benotto
hoods: CanCreek/Diacompe hoods fit probably very well and are comfortable. Tiny bummer is they have text on them

Elev12k":1dexe64i said:
stem: I would go for SR
tape: black Tressostar cotton. Alternatively Benotto
hoods: CanCreek/Diacompe hoods fit probably very well and are comfortable. Tiny bummer is they have text on them

thanks!
the stem that is on the bike now is an SR too. Might be original after all? Any idea on what stem length would be on a 56 cm (ct) frame?

I figured the Cane Creek hoods would be an Ok and cheap solution. I think I'll try those.
The Tressostar looks awesome!! Thanks for that one :D

The stem looks like a 60mm one to me. That is not how Koga specced them. Perhaps an older person wanted to enjoy the bike as long as possible.

Looking more closely I spot a couple more things that are not original: the nice aluminium 600EX headset is later and your bike has Dura-Ace callipers.

The sticker idicates the frame is built using Tange Champion #2. In case of your frame for full frame. Very nice.

Elev12k":3iw2nywl said:
The stem looks like a 60mm one to me. That is not how Koga specced them. Perhaps an older person wanted to enjoy the bike as long as possible.

Looking more closely I spot a couple more things that are not original: the nice aluminium 600EX headset is later and your bike has Dura-Ace callipers.

The sticker idicates the frame is built using Tange Champion #2. In case of your frame for full frame. Very nice.

well spotted!!

the shifters and brake levers are Dura Ace too...
What length of stem would this bike originally have had do you think?

Uhm... for that size somewhere in the 100-120mm range I think.

I fitted the CaneCreeks on my early Dura-Ace levers a couple months ago. From experience I can tell it works very well.

6104017824_0af2dae7f3_z.jpg

If you decide for cotton tape: make it wet. Ideally work top-down and use for example Velox screw plugs at the ends to hold the tape.

Latest posts

Back