Japanese mountain bike

colinr

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My mate bought a second hand mountain bike"Kwahara" in the early 90s with full dx groupo . It has been sitting in the shed for many years We dug it out the other day and took a few photos but I have not got a clue how to host the photos. I can email the photos to someone and they can host them for me if that is possible.It has a great retro paint job.I would like to know the history and any info behind these bikes because I have never come across any others.

Regards Colin

Hi Colin,

Send me the pics, please. The Kuwahara brand was way more famous for their BMX bikes. Unfortunately I also do not know Kuwahara very well, but I think they made decent MTBs. Do know many indeed came in the colours typical for that era.

You can find Kuwahara catalogues on www.mtb-kataloge.de

- Melvin

Hi dear 'Japanese mountain bike' topic viewer,

Here Colin's pics:

Kuwahara1.jpg

DX bike

Kuwahara2.jpg

Ishiwata tubing

Kuwahara3.jpg

Made in Japan. Do not know whether it is a 100% Japanese specced bike. Could be it is.

Kuwahara4.jpg

Ukai rims

- Melvin

I think it may be a jap specced bike ,all the bits on it had made in japan on them .The stem says nitro which is the same brand I spotted in one of those early catalogue scans mentioned. The rims are the orignals and are also Japanese.The seat is also branded with the bike manufacturers logo.
The model is called a ROC D'AZUR DX .
I think with a little bit of spit and polish she may out on a bit of single track again.You will not miss her with that paint job.

Thanks to the fellow member who hosted the pictures for me.
If anybody can give me some info on this model I would be Quite interested.

Regards Colin

I seem to remeber first Roc d Azur took place in 1987 . But only 7 peolple took part . later editions were popular before it became the biggest MTB race .
so your bike probably dates from after 1987 .

Nitto it is

Nitto makes some great stuff

With Japanese seat it may be very well a 100% Japanese bike. Often an Italian seat is the only non Japanese part for a Japanese bike. How many countries can say they supplied all parts for a bike? Not many. Japan, Italy, ???

Back