Thetford meet - the aftermath - Beaker get well soon mate

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Lovely weather for a change at a Thetford meet, eight brave souls ventured out not knowing that one would not come back! Set out on the Black route for a warm up, sticky in parts is an understatement, the braking ruts were full of soft sticky Thetford gloup. Stopped for a photo at the traditional sign post before heading for the Beast.

We paused at Hayles Pit near the start of the Beast for a little bombhole fun, first couple of riders through no problem, then Beaker lined himself up for a go. He did, by his own admission, take the run up a little fast. Photographers in place for an action shot, he'd launched himself off the down slope and was careering downwards on just the front wheel, then a sickening crunch. It did not look or sound good, he fell face first landing on his head & left shoulder badly winding himself in the process. Not good, Beaker was in a bad way! Upon inspection it was found out that his cycle helmet had spilt in half, the bike was OK!

A few minutes passed before he was able to stand and climb out of the bombhole. Jango went to fetch his car and I walked (slowly) with Beaker down the fire road adjacent to the main road to meet up with the car. The rest of the riders went for the tea & cake stop at the Brandon Forest Centre Cafe. With Beaker & Jango on the way to the nearest A&E the rest of the group headed back over to the High Lodge side of the forest and did a loop of the Red Route which was much more enjoyable ride than the Black Route, the singletrack flowed better and was not so cut up.

Rider present:

REKIBorter, Jango, cannondale king, Boy O Boy, Neil__J, Average Mark, Wobbly John and not forgeting Beaker - I hope your on the mend soon.

AND we saw Gary Fisher ;)

Piccies

Attachments

• thetford-006-1.jpg
    thetford-006-1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,905
  • thetford-005-1.jpg
    thetford-005-1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 2,905
  • thetford-004-1.jpg
    thetford-004-1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,905
  • thetford-003-1.jpg
    thetford-003-1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,905
Group photo

Cannondale King, Jango, Boy O Boy, Neil__J, Beaker, Wobbly John, Average Mark

Attachments

• thetford-002-1.jpg
    thetford-002-1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,902
Great day out, thanks guys.

Get well soon Beaker - you really should know better :roll:

The X1 is mine and is a pale 'baby' blue with white rear triangle & white decals. The paint's original.

In the end it was the batteries for my camera that I forgot, so no piccies from me. :(

I have the chrome X1 with orange rear triangle. I did see one of those baby blue ones in a picture once - very unusual. Most are like mine (or with yellow rear triangle), a few red ano ones.

Yeah, most of the ones I've seen have been chrome with a yellow rear. Gary Fisher said the same when we met him at the cafe. ;)

Great ride by all. thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope Beaker gets better soon, do we have any news on whether he's banged himself up to badly?. Plus it was really nice to meet everyone, think Bens idea about once a month was a good one ;)

I spoke to Beaker last night after his trip to A&E.......he's got a broken collar bone :cry:

He's going to post the x-ray piccies in due coarse!!

Get well soon mate.

Back