winter night nide. awful.

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I took out my freshly built 1x9 Cotic Soul last night for a blast around Swinley Forest.
The bike was simply great, turned in terrificly , gripped greatly, sprinted splendidly, but then the rain came. and then I had an off and cracked my elbow and knee good & proper.
Then I spent the next hour or so drenched and gritty and cold to the bone and cursing the shortcut that became a longcut.
We finally got home swearing not to ride again this winter in the rain, and discussing what a miserable ride it was. totally unenjoyable.

So why can I not stop thinking about doing it all again tonight.
Thats the beauty of cycling right?

There is no question in my mind..

The body works and pushes out all those wonderful endorphins, but no matter how awful the ride, and how much you complain about it after, those endorphins fade and the craving starts again

I've only ever rode once at night, probably getting on for about 12-14 years ago, back when light options were limited to large budget.

My mate had some powerfull production lights, mine were very much home-made, a three RC 7.2V batterys hooked up to a twin projectors, switchable 21W and 55w car bulbs in a pair of butchered torch reflectors using (and i kid you not) small drinks cans for shrouds. My mate took the piss, until, on top of a drizzle and mist covered hill, his lights failed, and we had to rely my light and his head torch to get back.

Out of all the rides i've done, that one has always stuck in my mind, real kick, was utterly fantastic :)

great story :)
get yourself some new lights and get out for some night rides, its a whole different experience.

I am running a Carrera frame on 1 x 9 at the mo. And with the current weather rendering the granny ring sections of the local rides into muddy-footed pushes, you really do wonder why, as a non-racing, non-pro, you need any more.

You make do with what's available and still smile. Like when we were little kids.

A good motto for life, I suppose.

Glad I've got a f8cking big truck to drive to work in the snow, doe...

not_fat_matt":1o83y2ji said:
I've only ever rode once at night, probably getting on for about 12-14 years ago, back when light options were limited to large budget.

My mate had some powerfull production lights, mine were very much home-made, a three RC 7.2V batterys hooked up to a twin projectors, switchable 21W and 55w car bulbs in a pair of butchered torch reflectors using (and i kid you not) small drinks cans for shrouds. My mate took the piss, until, on top of a drizzle and mist covered hill, his lights failed, and we had to rely my light and his head torch to get back.

Out of all the rides i've done, that one has always stuck in my mind, real kick, was utterly fantastic :)

I ran an old 7V makita battery wired to a butchered car spotlight with a 6V caving halogen bulb in it , lasted about 2 hours but that was 17/18 years ago too.
Matthew

Matthews":2w8vgufr said:
not_fat_matt":2w8vgufr said:

I ran an old 7V makita battery wired to a butchered car spotlight with a 6V caving halogen bulb in it , lasted about 2 hours but that was 17/18 years ago too.
Matthew

Yeah mine would have about 20mins max on the 55w iirc, got hot too!
I like to think we were pioneers of garage bodgery :cool:

Out of intterest how bright were the car bulbs, I've been thinking of doing this for a while rather than spending £100-£200 on bright lights.

Considering 30 quid will get you a good useable bar mounted light with a claimed 1200 lumen (more like 600ish) from Deal Extreme I thinke the days of bodged being cheaper are pretty much over. I ran 2 mr11 halogens in a plastic plumbing fitting bodge with a 12v sla battery for a while years ago. Now on one of those DX lights on the bars and a Joystick on the lid, can ride as fast as during the day for 2 hrs or so.
Muddy wet night rides can be really miserable though, but they sure make the post ride pint taste good!

Mud and rain is why I ride single speed. Nothing to screw up. Night riding is so much fun especially when it muddy. Thetford during the day is boring and night its is fun.

Incidently I still use my Lumicycle 20w halogen lamp with Li-ion battery gveing 3.3 hrs of light.

Latest posts

Back