'95 Kona Fire Mountain Singlespeed Hack

cornholio's RC200

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Decided to build up the Kona again and over the last couple of nights have cobbled this together from a bunch of parts sat in the shed. Not had a chance to ride it yet but I might give it a go tomorrow morning on the way into work

IMGP2610.jpg

Frame: 1995 Kona Fire Mountain

Fork: Kona Project II

Headset: Kona Impact
Stem: Velocity
Handlebar: Kona Race Light
Grips: Tioga Biogrip II
Barends: None

Brakes: Shimano BR-M734
Brake Pads: Shimano Deore LX Cartridge
Brake Cables: Shimano M-System
Cantilever cable hangers: Something trick looking by Clarks that I picked up in Halfords last night :D
Brake Levers: Curve

Shifters: None
Front Derailleur: None
Rear Derailleur: Paul Components Melvin
Derailleur Cables: None
Cassette: 18T sprocket
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Deore LX FC-M563
Crank Bolts: Generic
Chainrings: Blackspire DH 36T
Chainring bolts: Singlespeed shorty things
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN91
Pedals: VP-133 platform thingies

Hub Skewers: Mavic look alikes
Rims: Bontrager Mustang
Hubs: Deore XT M737
Nipples: Yes
Spokes: Yes
Tyres: Specialized Team Master and Ground Control
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Flite Kevlar
Seatpost: Kona Race Light
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: Don't know

Lovely... if only it had some gears :) I have the same cable hangars on mine, again from Halfords - I have to admit I was actually quite impressed that they had anything vaguely suitable in stock!

great!.....i love a build from bits in the shed, they often turn out to be the most carachterful!......lovely!.... :D

That's a beaut.

Isn't it strange how all those parts on that period of Kona just go so well together?

The seatpost, stem, headset, P2 forks, they all look great.

Much nicer looking than the stuff that comes on modern bikes anyway.

It might just be me though! :LOL:

Very smart for a parts bin job ;)
you may find you want something a bit smaller than 18t
at the back though if riding on the road quite a bit ...
but any how looks great ...enjoy :)

godders":2dbzdefg said:
Very smart for a parts bin job ;)
you may find you want something a bit smaller than 18t
at the back though if riding on the road quite a bit ...
but any how looks great ...enjoy :)

My commute's about 60% off-road so that ratio is about right for me and my feeble lungs. It's a bit heavy going over the local canal bridge though (Warburton bridge near Lymm if you know it)...

When I say parts bin, I've had a lot of the stuff here in my shed for going on two years; some of the stuff a sight longer than that. The Melvin is probably the biggest extravagance; I bought it as a basket case from ebay and rebuilt it. The chain and chainring were new for a project last year. The brakes certainly weren't...

Well at least you have put all thoseparts to some good use ;) Keep us posted on how you get on with this :)
do you get much noise from the melvin ?
Mick :)

The Melvin is spectacularly quiet; what it would be like with a fist full of gritty mud I don't know. The weather's been so bad that I've only used it on the road since I've built it. Time will tell. Everything else is behaving itself so I think I've got something fairly maintenance free to tide me over when I just don't want something to faff about with.

Back