1975 Viscount Aerospace Sport restoration - full Dura Ace

Bendo

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Finally, after almost a full year in the shop, the resto on my beloved Sport is (nearly) complete. She's still without her decals, but everything else is in place.

This particular bike came with Dura Ace front and short cage rear mechs (the rear was still called "Crane"). Other Aerospace Sports came with Titlist front and rear. It also had Viscount sealed bearing high flange hubs, Sugino Maxy 5 pin crankset and never had the infamous cast aluminium fork, but a lugged cromoly full chrome fork.

Because of the Dura Ace history, I decided I would try and rebuild the restored frame with as much first generation Dura Ace as I could find. The end result is below. The front mech is original, as is the frame. The rest of the bike is new or near new.

I've since found out that Viscount created a race bike very similar to this, with the entire first gen DA groupset (black), sprint rims and Shimano drop outs. This bike exists in catalogues online but no extant examples have ever been sighted. My bike is a kind of homage to it.

The Dura Ace components: hubs, BB, seat pin, brakes, derailleur, cluster.

How does she ride? As good as if it were a NOS Super Record gruppo... only better! :twisted: b

IMGP0156.JPG

IMGP0154.JPG

IMGP0142.JPG

IMGP0129.JPG

Ah ha! Great to see this coming together. Every time I see pictures of this frame, I always look for the super neat collars on the seat tube and head tube - it warms my heart to think there's still people out there capable of that level of craftsmanship.

Can't wait to see it with the decals on. Do you mind me asking who made the freewheel block? I've been suckered by its shinyness :D :D

Goldie":18pcpx4v said:
Ah ha! Great to see this coming together. Every time I see pictures of this frame, I always look for the super neat collars on the seat tube and head tube - it warms my heart to think there's still people out there capable of that level of craftsmanship.

Can't wait to see it with the decals on. Do you mind me asking who made the freewheel block? I've been suckered by its shinyness :D :D

Thanks for the admiration Goldie. I dont have all the decals yet. Missing the seat tube bands and the extra "Aerospace" for the chain stays.

The freewheel is, of course, Dura Ace! b

Here's an advert photo for a Dura-Ace AX version. The spec was extremely good. I've never (as far as I can recall) seen one.

Attachments

• ViscountDuraAceAXSept82.A.jpg
    ViscountDuraAceAXSept82.A.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,011
Thanks Ned. That's very interesting. I never knew Viscount did an AX race bike. Never seen that Viscount in print let alone in real life.

This is the one my rebuild pays homage to:

race-bike-Brochure.jpg

I've never seen this one in real life either. And neither has anyone I know seen it. I think the groupset that it had carries the denomination "EA". EA then EX then AX is the progression in Dura Ace as far as I can gather. But I could be way off. b

The Black Dura-Ace was relatively common. I've got a front and rear mech and brake stirrups. They still used the Silver brake levers for some reason. I think the AX model in 'my' advert was possibly a few years later, early 80's, when they had the professional riders (Tony Doyle, Ian Hallam).

I've got a set of Black Dura Ace callipers in the garage along with the silver levers :)

They were common in the respect they were available but if memeory serves they were £47 a set and Campag were just a couple of quid more expensive......which would you buy ?

Phil Bayton for Dawes / Dura-Ace versus the rest with Campag LOL

Shaun

Goldie":5vfwo29l said:
...Every time I see pictures of this frame, I always look for the super neat collars on the seat tube and head tube - it warms my heart to think there's still people out there capable of that level of craftsmanship...

IMGP0255.JPG

IMGP0253.JPG

For you Goldie! :) b

Good enough bike to take the Land's End to John O'Groats record.

BTW, he is NOT the Mick Coupe that rode as a professional in the 60's and 70's.

Attachments

• MickCoupeE2EJuly82.A.jpg
    MickCoupeE2EJuly82.A.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,894
Re: 1975 Viscount Aerospace Sport restoration - full Dura Ac

Hello. I just register to this forum cause I just bought a viscount aerospace frame. Does anyone knows we're can I find some new decals? Thanks

Back