Whyte prst-1

sylus

Old School Grand Master
I know these things are marmite but I would be very interested in owners/previous owners opinions on these

The good the bad and the ugly, how to size, long term ownership, good mods to make, areas to look out for etc

Cheers

I love both the 1 and the 4. Mostly the latter really. Don't own one (yet) tho, so I can't really comment on it.

sylus":ep8g9b7i said:
no love or previous owners of the 1 on rb?

I have a PRST-1. haven't ridden it much as I find the top tube a little bit short and the bars too high (the stem is quite tall and to lower the bars, would need the stem cutting). It is quite a heavy beast but the ride is wonderfully smooth.

My brother in law is on his third; the other two broke. Whyte replaced them each time with something a bit beefier, and the present one has lasted 10 years or so.
It is a very smooth ride but makes me feel seasick.

02gf74":33mgb3mp said:
(the stem is quite tall and to lower the bars, would need the stem cutting)

I would advise against cutting the stem. Apparently all that height is needed for the suspension.
It goes up quite a bit, and can hit the stem if you lower that.

I've read that many owners simply put a set of flat bars on there, and if they want it even lower, they put a set of riser bars upside-down.

Thanks for the reply gents

I did supsect the front put some off ..a bit like a windows user all thier life suddenly using a mac

for those who had/have one..what mods/improvements did you make and what went well and what did not?

^^^ yes, I know about the stem and possible contact with front fork - also it needs to be cut quite precisley to give a square end.

Back