1991 Rocky Mountain Hammer

Yes down the other side on each the red hammer bike linked two shows you it. It makes it smoother at the front.
Also you should make the cable length under the seat area a touch shorter to give a smooth curve between the stops. Again doesn't really matter for general use.

The front mech pully was used, as they hadn't (Shimano/Suntour) released top-pull front mech till a year later

Nice rebuild. Only thing not doing it for me is the stem. Silver is fine, but just not that one. Looks too bulky compared to the rest.

That and fixing up the cabling. ;)

Good job! :cool:

rocky

very nice,very good job.but i would not bother entering the "bun fight" that is BOTM.go enjoy riding it :D

hjb1000":tn9mfelr said:
I had a bit of trouble with the front derailleur routing and in the end had to use a cyclocross pulley and the traditional bottom pull XT. I'm guessing the FD-M736 top pull didn't exist in 1991 (well as far as my lazy internet research goes)
Didn't it come with a pulley? FD-M736 came out in 1992, so you're not far out. Shimano just had the down-pull FD-M735 in 1991, which is why some other 91 RMs sported pulleys.

As it happens, the 1991 Hammer catalogue picture shows the cable routing the way you have done it. But then Ben might point out that RM catalogue shots didn't always reflect what was eventually sold - and in this case the catalogue bike has different dropouts to yours, although yours is definitely a 91 frame.

Just did a quick check of my catalogues, the Suntour 1991 and this bike was Suntour equipped as you mention. So it could well have used a top-pull mech.

Then Anthony comment on the '91 routing, I looked at the pics (and it does go the way I say as it has the noodle for the front mech one in the pic, well at least the 1991 catalogue I'm looking at). Also it makes the front easier with the headtube mounted cable stops. Rockies naming blurb for it is 'crossover cable routing'
But it uses the Sutour Top-pull front mech, so looking at the pics would have been easier :LOL:

Was there a screw in bit for the cable pully already ?

Attachments

• RM Hammer 1991.JPG
    RM Hammer 1991.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,058
Forgot to mention I like the look of the Rolls saddle on it, just picked one up for myself.

FluffyChicken":2t5wz9i4 said:

There was a screw boss already there- it may have had a rusty bolt in there too, I can't remember. You make a good point about the original Suntour XC LTD- as the bike was originally specced with it, perhaps Suntour already had a top pull?

hjb1000":3vmzpk95 said:
FluffyChicken":3vmzpk95 said:

There was a screw boss already there- it may have had a rusty bolt in there too, I can't remember. You make a good point about the original Suntour XC LTD- as the bike was originally specced with it, perhaps Suntour already had a top pull?

They did have one in 1991 and the picture in my previous post shows it and it's in the 1991 Suntour catalogue, previously I had mentioned they didn't but there should have been a star (*) and subnote on the suntour to say will check it as I do remember seeing it but couldn't remember, must have forgotten to hit the submit on the edit.

Either way, doesn't matter as your setup is how all the Shimano setups came.

FluffyChicken":do9jrai1 said:
Then Anthony comment on the '91 routing, I looked at the pics (and it does go the way I say as it has the noodle for the front mech one in the pic, well at least the 1991 catalogue I'm looking at). Also it makes the front easier with the headtube mounted cable stops. Rockies naming blurb for it is 'crossover cable routing'
Not for the first time Ben, your eyes are better than mine. I couldn't see that noodle, so it looked like a straight line to me. I can only think that the noodle didn't work very well, as most 91 RMs don't have one, so they may have abandoned them half way through the season.

Anthony":kvxqtjp8 said:
FluffyChicken":kvxqtjp8 said:
Not for the first time Ben, your eyes are better than mine. I couldn't see that noodle. I can only think that the noodle didn't work very well, as most 91 RMs don't have one, so they may have abandoned them half way through the season.

Got to agree with the noodel, probably more faff to fit and with the advent of top pull mech becoming main stream (Shimano ones to marker ?) the bosses on the seat tube gave better positioning.

hjb1000 what's the start of the serial number on this (first 5 characters ish)

Back