BoTM December 2011 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr S":8yz6qdbw said:
So, not only are quality bikes to be discouraged, quality photography is now frowned upon?

Anything else?

Is there any point anymore?

Agree with you Si, it's getting silly this month.

If two of the same bikes turned up in BoTM would I vote for the one with the better picture? Of course I would. :roll:

As I said before, I'm worse with a camara then I am with a bike. Most of my pictures have rubbish backgrounds and very little effort is put in. However, I have taken one of my bikes in the car up in to the hills to try and get some decent shots and they came out ok. If I was to enter BoTM I'd at least make an effort otherwise what's the point?

johntomjoe":1yj2zhzb said:
No threat to the potential winner?
No one will vote?

And you doubt john will put any through?

Not much of a fair competition,and a bit elitist I would say

What would happen if the rebels voted against the shiny well photographed machines?
Your comment could be tantamount to imply this is a fixed contest :evil:

I tried to be fair but I'm beginning the suspect you may have joined the wrong forum... :roll:

brocklanders023":1qa0dj2u said:
Dr S":1qa0dj2u said:
So, not only are quality bikes to be discouraged, quality photography is now frowned upon?

Anything else?

Is there any point anymore?
Agree with you Si, it's getting silly this month.

If two of the same bikes turned up in BoTM would I vote for the one with the better picture? Of course I would. :roll:

As I said before, I'm worse with a camara then I am with a bike. Most of my pictures have rubbish backgrounds and very little effort is put in. However, I have taken one of my bikes in the car up in to the hills to try and get some decent shots and they came out ok. If I was to enter BoTM I'd at least make an effort otherwise what's the point?
To be equitable, I think there's some over-reacting to Rob's point - which I think was well explained.

I think it's a fair point to at least question the goal posts - as was explained in one of his subsequent replies - there is a difference between the enthusiastic retrobiker, submitting his / her entry, trying to get the best possible photo (and putting in effort to do so) and somebody who's semi / professional photographer (or employing the services of) submitting entries.

That said, it is a competition, and if the standard of entry is such that many who are attracted to enter BOTM, are actually encouraged to research and improve their photography, then surely that's win.

That said, whilst presenting skills do have somewhat objective rationale, I'm not so sure I buy group-think on what should be encouraged goals for site that's essentially driven by nostalgic interest in era.

But like many that are, no doubt, passive in the competition, albeit heckling from the sidelines, what I see value in is effort and passion for an entry - even if that entry is decidedly lowly.

Sure, there are some bikes that many will sneer at and deride their value and presentation - well that's the thing about competitions and votes - they'll succeed or not on concurrence. There are some bikes that are more sound-like than genuine article, sometimes, they are well presented, entered with a passion, a smile and a wink, and a persuasive point on evoked memories and beginnings. Some are just entered merely because they can be.

At the end of the day, though, votes will out.

All the same, there does seem to be something of an overreaction going on on both sides of this - I can only think that's more about over egging the pudding, than rational response.

Neil, you are a gent and summed up many of our feelings in one post :) thankyou, now lest get back to BOTM, c'mon John, time for the Poll :)

Jussa :)

how many guys who submit photos in BOTM or POTM are either professional or semi-professional photographers?

I'm going to go with "none, or close to none". What are you saying here? That pro photographers are sandbagging an informal competition (that's not a photo comp) on a niche website? Seems a little implausible.

Clearly some people have either more of an eye for a picture or more experience or are just more pernickety than others, and equally clearly a well-shot bike has a better chance. I can't see a problem with that -- if you want to win, it's not much effort to take a pic of it in a nice spot with decent light.

I'm sure there's a "how to take pictures of bikes" thread on here somewhere for pointers. And when we're talking about 500 pixel wide pics on a website equipment becomes pretty irrelevant.

Photography has been a interest of mines for 30 odd years (started when I was 2 :shock: ) I know a photo taken by a pro photographer when I see one. Im gonna shut up now, BTW Im quite relieved how easy you've been on me. Thanks for letting me say my 2p's worth.

Cheers ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back