GT Zaskar 20th Anniversary

Re: Zaskar headset

Flat Lander":3mukyzcs said:
Slojo":3mukyzcs said:
Hi Flatlander

Thats a nice bike you have. I've just bought a re-issue zaskar frame and I'm glad I got the info about the Hope headset not fitting, I was just about to buy one! Been looking at cane creek H/sets but don't know which size to get (short, long etc.) what is on yours?

Hi Slojo
I went for the short top cap, mainly because that was the only type I could find at the time. Having spent some time looking around later, I've found that FSA do a nice one with a tall cap. In hindsight I would have bought the tall one as I think it looks better, but thats down to personal taste. Good luck and enjoy building up a great frame.

Hi Slojo
Realised that i didnt fully answer your question on the headset type.
Last year i first bought a hope integrated headset as i really like the quality of Hope equipment. As i said before, it didnt fit. I originally put this down to the wrong depth of the bearings. Well actually the bearing depth is fine, 6.5mm for both the upper and lower bearings. The items that fail to make this headset fit are the combination of the compression ring depth and the top cap. And actually its mainly the top cap. Its profile is very flat and results in quite a large gap between the top tube and cap.
So i bought a cane creek IS3 short cap. Fitted ok, but i was not 100% happy fit of the top cap either. pretty good fit but not perfect.
My recomendation is to now get a Token integrated headset. The Token Omega A26 1 1/8" model which has 6.5mm depth bearings with 45degC contacts, a nice split crown ring for easy installation (like Hope does) and at last an excellent top cap. The cap has the compression ring integrated with it and a thin but effective seal. Again its a short height cap, but it fits great.
I bought the carbon version because i liked the look of it and it wasnt too much more expensive.
If you still want to go for a cane creek, the S ans IS models have been discontinued. So i recently asked cane creek which of their new headsets would fit the zaskar. This was the brief reply;

You can get the 40 or 110-Series EC34/30 complete.

Gary Maltby
Cane Creek Cycling Components

The top cap looks to be improved compared with old IS model. So the choice is yours. The 40 (forty) replaces the S models and the 110 is their new top spec range with a 110year guarantee...

Again good luck and i hope this has helped.

Hi Flatlander

Many thanks for the detailed reply. It's been a great help. Going to be a slow build as I want to take my time and put on the best stuff I can get (afford). It will be a keeper for dry trails only. Will try to post some pics when I am done.

Thanks again.

Slojo, my pleasure. Thats what we're here for :D
Enjoy the build, and place a few photo's as you go. There are a quite a few GT fans on this forum and I'm sure that they'll all follow your build with interest.

Flat Lander":mntkhfvi said:
CHASE76":mntkhfvi said:
Player nice bike man! what size frame is it? :cool:

It looks like a Small frame to me (16.5") in GT sizing :roll:

Thanks,Flat Lander is right is the sizing.

Its funny ive got abit more post out now im actually riding it.
Ive always had a 16"or 17" but when i first bought the frame i did for a slight
second think it would be to small due to the more sloping top tube with the original Zaskar top tube being more flat.Perhaps i could of got away with the medium but would rather have more post i think.

gm1230126":3l9ogkbh said:
Sizing from GT's database:

Darn...can't get it in a format that will post.

Its a USA frame so we should follow GT's guidelines. I've seen much less seat post sticking out of the frames on photos from the states than from europe. This has been a typcal trend for years. For some reason, on this side of the pond, we prefer a smaller frame with more seat tube.
My anniversary is a medium and I'm 6', although my next project is zaskar carbon team frame in large. I'm curious what difference it will make to riding.

Back