lets see your khs's

Help ! Hope you guys can bear with me, not only new to forums, am new to biking too. Know about good names like Shimano, Campag etc from having mates who are into road bikes and I have a good eye for 'stuff'
Went looking for something to 'potter about on' and found this, liked it, brought it home and started to look in the forums to sort out what I'd bought.
Never heard of KHS, Tom Ritchey, Logic or any of this stuff before last week, now I'm hooked. Seems like people wax lyrical about this bike, might be just nostalgia, but it looks like it's held in high regard.
Seems to be pretty original with all Shimano Deore XT running gear and Ritchey bits, Deore hubs with Mavic M231 rims.
Tried to date it but it doesn't have the usual factory/date/serial KHS spec, just has 5668 stamped under the bottom bracket, so I guess it's pretty early, are some suggestions out there that it may be a Tom Ritchey 'Ultra' (whatever that is/was) put out as a KHS Team model, that's as far as I got.
Anyway, it's well used but in good running order, and it's light as a feather.
I don't really see me bumping it through the woods, I hate getting muddy. And I don't consider that the pleasure of riding necessitates having to have your arse higher in the air than your head. My plan was to turn it into a neat looking senior citizen's shopper/ stroller that could pull glamorous grannies down the local cafe, (only half joking)
So my initial question is: Would it be a crime to pimp it?
Any information, ideas, comment much appreciated and considered, Harvey.

Attachments

• KHS1.jpg
    KHS1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,627
I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like a true KHS to me - the forks are thinner, cables run on the top of the TT not the side, the seatstays meet the ST at the clamp bolt, not below... and the Ritchey sticker on the TT... so maybe you do have something special? someone on here must know!

Thanks Foz, gets even more interesting, the forks have 'chrmo butted' under the side KHS decals and the Ritchey Logic decals down the front that read 'force directional' under the Logic sheild.
Back dropouts are stamped with RITCHEY.
Maybe I'll shoot a few details and post them too.

Montana1.jpg

montanafront.jpg

CrossMonstersideshadow.jpg

KHS

KHS Montana Team cataloge 1990, Pink Bars!

Attachments

• '90-cat.jpg
    '90-cat.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,297
JeRkY":2hvt5n57 said:
Mines a little more modern, great bike though & a stupidly light frame under something like 1450 grams off the top of my head.

P1000299-1-1.jpg

It has been rebuilt with more suitable stuff since this photo the deore stuff is now XT, the stem/post are now thomson, and the brakes are now Hope mono mini trials.
Do you know the year of your KHS Alite? I picked up the same frame a few years ago and haven't figured the year. Agree with that it is an amazingly light frame.

Thanks
Thunderchild

Attachments

• khs 2006 (Small).JPG
    khs 2006 (Small).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,287
KHS

Hung my 'Team' on the luggage scales this morning, it came in at 25lbs or 11.4kgs.
Sorry, I should have given the '90 catalogue photographer a credit, he's Craig Glaspell, has some nice work out there.

Latest posts

Back