My 1996 Orange C16R

Did you know that a canzo is a chant that accompanies an ordeal by fire? If you did, you wouldn't have found it out from VooDoo. I presume they are the kind that prefers mystery to history, but I am definitely a history man. I aim to eliminate mystery.

I have a 1996 Wanga, which is a superb bike by the way, but a name open to misinterpretation - the word snigger even appeared in a thread title about a Wanga on here once. It means a thing that has had a spell placed on it, usually a malevolent spell. VooDoo have been selling Wangas for 16 years, but they haven't ever thought to eliminate the mystery (nor the snigger factor). I did manage to have a brief exchange with Joe Murray, who seems a nice guy, but not talkative enough for my needs. I have written a little about VooDoo history elsewhere on here, but there is still much mystery I'm afraid.

I once exchanged information with a very well established member on here about the Orange E4 that I had just bought. His 98 E4 was different from mine, and we were trying to work out why. He knew for a fact that his E4 was definitely a 98 E4 because he bought it as soon as the E4 came out and it came out in 98. And yet mine was definitely a 98 E4 too. It was only after quite a lot of discussion that he came back and said 'Anthony, I've just remembered that I had a replacement frame from Orange after the original developed a crack. How could I possibly have forgotten that? I'm so sorry!' Hmmmm, so that's why it's just like a 99 E4 frame then. It is a 99 E4 frame.

:roll: Nice bloke too, one of these human beings you know, not infallible.

For the sake of acceptance in the correct catagory, does it really matter when the bike was sold?

If the frame was demonstrably manufactured in a certain year what difference does it make when it reached the shops?

If a NOS Clockwork turned up at Orange having sat in its box under a pile of other boxes in the back of a storage container it wouldn't be a 2011 bike just because it was only now available...

...I would imagine container loads of frames would be shipped at a time and held in storage simply due to the fact that it wouldn't be possible to churn them all out at the same time; said frames may have been subject to minor developement changes over a period of time leading up to release but that wouldn't alter the fact it was manufactured prior to that??

If, as has been the case, members can build their own 'replica' retro bikes for inclusion in the >97 catagory then why the nit-picking over a period-bike that may/may not be 'on the cusp?'

...and for Gods sake don't anyone take offence at something else I've said! I am genuinely interested in the mindset behind it because I don't have an issue with it :?

If someone was trying to pass off something as something else entirely, with a view to making a profit, then I could understand it; but when something is purely for ones own enjoyment...

We_are_Stevo":22nb52h1 said:
For the sake of acceptance in the correct catagory, does it really matter when the bike was sold?

If the frame was demonstrably manufactured in a certain year what difference does it make when it reached the shops?

If a NOS Clockwork turned up at Orange having sat in its box under a pile of other boxes in the back of a storage container it wouldn't be a 2011 bike just because it was only now available...

...I would imagine container loads of frames would be shipped at a time and held in storage simply due to the fact that it wouldn't be possible to churn them all out at the same time; said frames may have been subject to minor developement changes over a period of time leading up to release but that wouldn't alter the fact it was manufactured prior to that??

If, as has been the case, members can build their own 'replica' retro bikes for inclusion in the >97 catagory then why the nit-picking over a period-bike that may/may not be 'on the cusp?'

...and for Gods sake don't anyone take offence at something else I've said! I am genuinely interested in the mindset behind it because I don't have an issue with it :?

If someone was trying to pass off something as something else entirely, with a view to making a profit, then I could understand it; but when something is purely for ones own enjoyment...

Greetings We_are_Stevo,

You've put a smile on my face, i didnt think that my 'in my opinion' wonderful 1996 Orange C16R would end up causing much debate!!, but i agree with your comments, and i think it's great that all the retro builds 100% correct, or not, bring pleasure and enjoyment to the owners and others alike.

Exactly; and how many of us kept our bikes 'stock' BITD for longer than it took to wear the nobbles off the tyres??

There was always some new 'must have' component coming onto the market to relieve us of our hard earned... ;)

That's why I took Harry Crumbs lovely 'resto' cro-mega and turned it into the day-glo nightmare it is now - I wanted a near enough recreation of my BITD bike, and got it... :LOL:

Ok Update time on my Orange C16R, The Orange Hot Rod bars arrived, (Mucho Thanks to Charlieboy2:cool: and my Clear Crud Guard is now mounted (Big Thankyou to TimHildreth) Decided to Plump my Rump onto a modern saddle, after much debate the CHARGE Spoon Cro-Mo Saddle now graces my ride, and very comfortable it is too :)
I am really happy with my C16R and now i can look forward to some early morning wintery rides through Thetford Forest :)

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• DSCF3121C16RUpdate.JPG
    DSCF3121C16RUpdate.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 627
  • DSCF3122C16RUpdate.JPG
    DSCF3122C16RUpdate.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 627
Orange C16R update 17/12/11

Ok, so a few changes to my Orange C16R, Firstly is the addition of some very clean XT Hubs, which i had spoked to some NOS Ritchey Rock Comp rims, then re-clad with my NOS Onza Porcupines. Then replaced the front and rear STXRC mech's with XT739's. STX gear shifters also replaced with some XT739's and then a NOS Ritchey Saddle replacing the Charge Spoon which was fitted. The KORE stem, quill adaptor were removed and replaced with an Orange SK8 stem, which suits the bike and shaves a few grams from the weight :) Still looking out for some XT739 Brake levers and also Brake Calipers, and of course the Crankset, but all in all i am still uber pleased with my C16R :)

Attachments

• Jussa Orange C16R Pic3.JPG
    Jussa Orange C16R Pic3.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 543
  • Jussa Orange C16R Pic2.JPG
    Jussa Orange C16R Pic2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 543
  • Jussa Orange C16R Pic1.JPG
    Jussa Orange C16R Pic1.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 543
sylus":2zhe6fb5 said:
Oooooo shineee....lookin nice jus

Where's the pace's

Sadly the Pace's are in my shed :( just sorting a 175mm steerer for them, and a reducer shim so I can use my 1" Headset & 22.2mm Stem. The steerer on them was a 1,1/8" threadless at 160mm so even too short had I changed headset & stem, with Xmas post and stuff, it's gonna be a new year addition. But worth the wait :) keep watching.........

Jussa :)

Piccy of me taken at the Retrobike National Series Thetford Forest :D

PACE RC38's fitted, handled like a dream, great day was had by all :)

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 358
Back