'Harry Hall' - First Road 'Restomod'

mrkawasaki":jn3cgdnj said:
So what period did downtube shifter mounts come in and go out? When were bands in favour?

Roughly the transition happened somewhere 1975-80 I would say. Also considering your toptube shows brazed on cable guides I would almost think your frame had shifter braze ons once. Edit: I realize one of my own frames has the combination of brazed on TT guides and clamped shifters too. A clamp for a 1990 bike I would still consider a real oddity.

Dura ace band on

If you dont need the indexed gears use dura ace leavers from about 1985 or you could use sis indexing levers (band on was still being used in the late 80's) from 1986 on with a 7 or 8 speed cog on the back. From my understanding the leavers dictate how far the changers move. But I have been wrong before and will be wrong again in the future. Perhaps someone else can confirm or rectify my comments.

What sportives are you intending to do?

Whats happening to your old 600 bit's?

Just rememberd these people have some old stock stems and bars http://www.velosolo.co.uk/index.html Hope that helps.

Cheers

Phil

Maybe it would be easier to use some STIs and then make a cable guide to go on the downtube band?

band on parts

I have 7401 band on Dura Ace and NOS band on bottle cages ( with alloy bands and bolts TA style ) if you go that way...

Attachments

• DSC00873.jpg
    DSC00873.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,166
Have had the serial numbers examined by Harry Hall's son and it turns out that it isn't a Harry-made Hall... apparently it was acceptable to take other frames of similar quality bitd, add a Harry Hall fork and respray them in the shop colours. Not that I find it acceptable and nor would the current trading officer regime, but hey, that's the retro world for you!

My disappointment is tempered by the removal of guilt about applying non-period parts, so now the real question is what to call it? Names on a postcard to...

Similar happened in Holland: for example Cera (Cees Raas, yes family of Jan) had his frames built with Ko Zieleman before Cees started building them himself.

Moreover there are many examples of larger builders who built frames in house, but employed staf. Colnago: do you think they are all built by Ernesto?

If it was born as Harry Hall, I would call it Harry Hall.

Harry Hall

mrkawasaki":9hud1orn said:
Have had the serial numbers examined by Harry Hall's son and it turns out that it isn't a Harry-made Hall... apparently it was acceptable to take other frames of similar quality bitd, add a Harry Hall fork and respray them in the shop colours. Not that I find it acceptable and nor would the current trading officer regime, but hey, that's the retro world for you!

My disappointment is tempered by the removal of guilt about applying non-period parts, so now the real question is what to call it? Names on a postcard to...

This was normal practice for 'shop' frames throughout the cycle industry, as most people had them 'hand made' to suit the rider.
So dealers bought unpainted frames and then had painted in there colours.
Cannot see anything wrong with that, was in a bike shop today and saw a new TREK being built up, with a large 'Made in Taiwen' sticker on it.
Remember racing in the USA in the 80's and all the Bianchi's had a 'Made in Japan' stickers on it.
Which ever way you look at it, it came from Harry's shop so it has to be a Harry Hall !!! who was a great bloke and helped numerous Manchester riders during his life..

Back