1993(?) Kona Hahanna Joe Murray Project 2 *Project!* Advice?

DMZ

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All,

My name is Eddie, hi everyone. New here and looking for advice as I tinker with my wheels.

I ride a Kona, as is the subject line, not sure how to designate the bike fully but it is a Hahanna probably from around '93, my parents bought it me new...it is one of those small steel frames, surprisingly light, has Project 2 forks . I can't even find a pic off google! It is very much like on that someone rebuilt on this forum (but I can't put a link on my first post...) except with the original Joe Murray propulsion/equilibrium tires and race light saddle.

It has had very little use until recently and it now runs round a certain student town famous for its bicycle population. It has the best handling dynamic, on and off road of any bike I know, a complete beast off road (I actually call it, or he, 'The Beast' owing to his off-road AWESOMENESS) however I lose a lot of power on the flat, where most use is made, and I was contemplating if I could convert it for (fast) road use as it is so light and fast, except I lose a lot of power in the massive tyres (and am also wearing them down, which is not good as I have no idea if I could replace them)...

IN an ideal world I would have a larger set of race wheels with slicks, though I am aware I would need to change the brakes completely (someone told me I couldn't do it but re. the mounting points etc I can't see why not, even if it is a slightly custom job). My saddle is damaged (torn vinyl) so new needed there. The silver/red paint is mostly intact, decals a bit scraped but I saw someone on here on that link above with new ones...I plan on at some point stripping and repainting to address the bashes/scrapes!

I currently have some nice narrow ally raleigh drop bars, but am missing the secondary (inside) brake lever (right) so if anyone has one of them..(I might post in the wanted section)...

Of course all this so I can preserve my Joe Murray wheels and convert back as I choose...but for now, so I can go REALLY FAST as I love riding this bike epically.

Any advice on wheels/conversions? Has anyone done anything like this before? I know little about bikes but am a technical person (cars mainly)...but I am learning and becoming a bit nerdy about my Kona...

Welcome :)

I had a new '93 Hahanna as my 1st Mtb and loved it.

Regarding the wheel conversion, why don't you just buy some slick tyres for your current wheels.
Much cheaper & easier to convert back to the off road ones.

As Gruff says just swap over to slicks..like i do :D ..the slicks are continental sports contact..about £34.00 a pair including tubes on evilbay :D

Ernie ;)

Attachments

• purple explosif 005.jpg
    purple explosif 005.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 4,139
  • explosif 2 002.jpg
    explosif 2 002.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 4,139
probably the best value around for semi slicks and with puncture protection is schwalbe city jets and you can still get them with the amberwall to keep the retro look...this way all you would have to do is change the tyres and nothing else

this ebay ad does a pair delivered for less than £24

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-City ... 2314b2b162

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Kona & Wheels

Gruff":1g3szwil said:
Welcome :)

I had a new '93 Hahanna as my 1st Mtb and loved it.

Regarding the wheel conversion, why don't you just buy some slick tyres for your current wheels.
Much cheaper & easier to convert back to the off road ones.

Gruff idea is perfect, but keep your eyes on the 'For Sale Forum' or put an Ad in the 'Wanted' Forum and you could see yourself with a second set of wheels all booted and spurred ready to go at a moments notice, and cheap as chips, no need to touch anything else, you could even set your second 'Road' set of wheels with a slightly different ration cassette, as long as you keep the number of rear cogs the same ie 8speed, 7speed etc you should be fine to just fit or remove, Simples :) Hope this helps,

Jussa :)

ooo :eek:

Thanks all.

Its fun going to cycle shops as I always get positive comments on the bike!

Will have another think about new tires for the short term.
Also I shall keep an eye out for wheels. Thing is, I already talked about this with someone. I thnk my bike would look a bit weird with very small tires on the size wheels it has.... Ideally I would like a different set of wheels, and I'd still be interested to know if anyone has managed to ift the biggest wheels possible in the forks with brakes that reach the rim...if not, I might have to be a conoisseur...:p

If anyone knows anyone or any website that does custom bike mods/conversions I would be interested to gain some knowledge/inspiration for my slow resotration/customisation. Will surely measure up and research parts i want.

I am just starting my bike learnings, need a crash course on bike tech really (terminologies are currently confusing me!); have just found this forum so will be around..

...and post pics as I go....:)

Cheers,
Eddie

Some wheels will have wider rims but you'll still need 26" jobs unless to want to do some engineering ;)

Schwalbe City Jets come in 1.95 width and are pretty chunky, you don't need skinny tyres if using slicks.....................

DSCN2108.jpg

DSCN2084.jpg

Back