MBUK, New Bike, Mini Rant

i only buy mbuk when there is something free AND useful on the front of it, the beanie hat fits perfectly under my safety helmet at work so this month it was 'worth it' but not for the mag :LOL:

the content has been slipping for years, it's just an industry advert to the masses now. sell sell sell!!

Well as I say I find it pretty good occasionallyI don't see many of the other mags championing the brit riders. Danny MacAskill, Chris Akrigg, Danny Hart etc all get good promotion. Britain has a fair few good mountain bikers and I can't help but feel MBUK plays a small role in attracting young riders and promoting them.

lewis1641":3efwsyuy said:
Yeah it could have a forum too. Maybe organise group rides, offer merchandise.

Cant see it catching on personally

I think it would work for a while but it would soon fill up with illiterate chavs trying to sell shonky old bits of tat.

NAILTRAIL96":2pzgxrif said:
A mag for the masses and not just one for the youngens and the bikes they lust after might do well though.
I realise that "cutting edge" is where the big news stories are but surely something more mature with a bit of classic stuff and visits to trail centres
etc would have a chance at good sales.

What about Cycling Plus? OK it deals with road and touring aswell - but it seems to aim more towards our demographic than the other mags.

stevec1975":62l2qqai said:
Just bought a new Scott Scale 30, this has disks and decent suspension, both of which are new to me, so I thought I would get down with the yoof and buy an MBUK to see whats going on in modern land (and it had a freebie beanie hat thing)

What the hell?, its all hucking this, jumping that, big air t'other, seems you need at least 6 inches of travel both ends and full body armour to even step out of the door, I wouldn't mind but most of the trails featured in the pics I could ride on my rigid without too many problems.

Am I getting old?
Whats going on?
Will I be shunned by these younger riders with their springs and stuff?

I'm only 19 and I often ride rigids on trails, but I do notice that people my age buy bikes based on what others will think about them whilst riding, no matter whether it's good value or quality. It's all about the name :evil:

MBUK is a pretty duff magazine now which is aimed at kids under 18 hence all the 'radical' goings on.

Fewer people reading magazines and more time spent in the internet apparently. Can't see it myself.

Certainly *cough* maturer riders like me got put off buying it as it seemed: 1 to be directly written by bike and component marketing departments
2 Not written in English any more..WTF..LOL? :roll:
3 Aimed at a demographic for whom puberty was an extremely recent experience. ;)

MBUK is basically Smash Hits of MTB mags, older folks read Singletrack I'd say - lots of hardtails and more unusual bikes in there, good interviews, articles and interviews too. And INDEPENDENT!

Dead Rats":2x18iahn said:
MBUK is basically Smash Hits of MTB mags, older folks read Singletrack I'd say - lots of hardtails and more unusual bikes in there, good interviews, articles and interviews too. And INDEPENDENT!

Yeah I agree - Singletrack is much more of an educated read

Back