1991 Specialized M2 Team Project

Pulling the build kit together. Original Suntour QR and Specialized cages or a little Ringle bling?

d56631f7.jpg

eda74f1e.jpg

mrkawasaki":it42q3db said:
Never seen one that big before, mrs - what's the size/vital stats?

According to catalogue it's a 21.5" frame. I've never seen another - I only sold Hardrocks and Rockhoppers in that size. I'll get the measuring stick out.

Pulling the build kit together. Original Suntour QR and Specialized cages or a little Ringle bling?

Keep it clean. Original Suntour mate, none of that poncy stuff ;)

jango":1hhqo5v7 said:

Second on that!

You're in luck having that Suntour stuff already there. Took me ~6 years to find a XC Pro bottom bracket for a 73mm BB shell...

I red from somewhere that the paint on those first gen. frames was very prone to flaking/stripping (almost dropped when to looked at it).

jango":m6osit8b said:

May not have the self control. I've a stash of Umma Gumma under a desk at work that may end up on it too (and yes I know that would be 1 year out on the period correct build timeline)

Not wishing to sound like to much of a dork, but weren't the first M2 Teams red? I had one of the first 500, broke it and got a purple one under warranty (and the geometry was different, and not for the better....). Nice to see all the paint falling though, it was a common trait for those frames!

183124_501294087809_666307809_6349665_7738116_n.jpg

The first ones were red or black, stumpy M2 was in purple, they also did a silver with yellow decals but think that was branded as an S works......paint fell off them all!!

Got it stripped and ready for paint. Was suprised how easily it came apart, bottom bracket has no pitting. The headset however is fubar so I'll be hunting for a 1" XC pro.

d7bf6b2f.jpg

Paint will be platinum silver with yellow decals as per 1991 European catalogue. Full Suntour XC Pro, IRD seatpost and Umma Gumma tyres, grips and saddle.

Back