Single Finger Braking?

Andy, I'll give it a go. Last time I tried them rotated up I didn't like it.
Not ridden for what seems like ages, so at least it'll feel fresh. Remind me to do it though if I'm riding with you.

Better late than never I suppose - but here's a quick photo anyway.

Attachments

• Brake-lever-positioning.jpg
    Brake-lever-positioning.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 501
Crappy photo at 6am this morning

main.php

Interesting about lever rotation... i have always favoured the "in line" position too (see grip tape to confirm "roadie heritage" :oops:). Since a wrist injury 18months ago, my right wrist has given me a bit of jip. My thoughts would be that to bend my wrist would put more pressure on it.. however I will give rotating them up a bit a try

Maybe I'm getting old a more fragile, and its time to consider wide risers :cry:

G

FluffyChicken":20a0f51x said:
Not ridden for what seems like ages, so at least it'll feel fresh. Remind me to do it though if I'm riding with you.
Only need to rotate them a little (depending on how you have yours set up) just enough to get the wrist to drop a little.

It may be that you do have an injury, but no harm in trying a different lever position for a quick test ride

Andy B":20883f0j said:
FluffyChicken":20883f0j said:
Only need to rotate them a little (depending on how you have yours set up) just enough to get the wrist to drop a little.

It may be that you do have an injury, but no harm in trying a different lever position for a quick test ride

I'll just nick your Marin, it'll be easier.. or the Cube mmm comfort ;)

I find that the biggest benefit to having the levers set higher is that you feel more "in" the bike so that when you get to an almost stalling situation (or the front wheel, at least) you are more able to push the bike ahead of you and through the obstacle rather than ending up hanging over the front wheel - ok, I know that you could still keep your wrists down and run the brake levers low but I usually have a finger hovering over the lever in most situations and so it's far easier if the levers are set that bit higher.

It works the same for me as keeping my heels down on rocky, rooty descents and drop-offs when you want to push the bike off ahead of you.

This is just my take on it however - BITD (late '80s/early'90s) I used to have my levers set really low, along with long stems and stupidly narrow bars. What fools we were..... :roll: But then it was all about racing and times change. I ride much more demanding stuff now than I did twenty years ago.

It reminds me of reading a Sammy Miller motorcycle trials book, - "Clean to the Finish" it was called, where he advocated never using the clutch to control speed in a section. That advice must have handicapped many young trials riders (myself included) who thought Sammy was akin to God and that his advice was law. We did discover the error of our ways though ;).

When I get a bike, I sit on it and put my arms straight down on the bars with my hands outstretched. I then angle the levers so that they form a straight line up my arms - that way, my wrists aren't bending up or down when I use the brakes.

As far as one finger braking goes - I only ever brake with one finger. I've very rarely needed to use 2, especially on discs.

Even 1 was too much sometimes when I had my Intense M1. I had a 228mm disc bolted to the front of it and a Hope 6ti slowing me down! :shock:

Andy R":2sz18z92 said:
I find that the biggest benefit to having the levers set higher is that you feel more "in" the bike so that when you get to an almost stalling situation (or the front wheel, at least) you are more able to push the bike ahead of you and through the obstacle rather than ending up hanging over the front wheel
Yup, a more eloquent way of saying it rather than my long winded way.

Basically your bodies momentum is pushed through the bars rather than over the bars with your levers set a tad higher & your wrists a tad lower helping the front wheel over obstacles
Barneyballbags":2sz18z92 said:
When I get a bike, I sit on it and put my arms straight down on the bars with my hands outstretched. I then angle the levers so that they form a straight line up my arms - that way, my wrists aren't bending up or down when I use the brakes.
With the levers set so your arm is in line with them means your wrist is above the centre line of the bars and you are more likely to stall the front wheel on an obstacle or rotate your wrists over the top of the bars. Levers up + dropped wrists below the centre line of the bars means this cannot happen, all the momentum of your body is transferred through the bars rather than over them

Back