Bottom Bracket fitting grease..?

Woz":1lqwtr0k said:
Fascinating. Need to ask the expert - Ti BB frame with Al UN72 cups. Lithuim or Copper? I had sleepless nights and pending on answer I may need a re-build :)

Need to know exact grade of AL, 6000 series or 7000 series. And of course the grade of Ti.
No, only joking. Regular cheapo grease or even perhaps whale fat will be fine on you bicycle.Sleep well and don't worry :)

I use this for BB's. It is much thicker than regular copper grease.

29157.jpg

the great roberto":1qi37dlt said:
Woz":1qi37dlt said:
Fascinating. Need to ask the expert - Ti BB frame with Al UN72 cups. Lithuim or Copper? I had sleepless nights and pending on answer I may need a re-build :)

Need to know exact grade of AL, 6000 series or 7000 series. And of course the grade of Ti.
No, only joking. Regular cheapo grease or even perhaps whale fat will be fine on you bicycle.Sleep well and don't worry :)

Thanks! (as he reaches for mayonnaise to cut more costs).

I swear by Shimano's mounting grease (or whatever it's called in english). The small white jars with the light blue label on top and white grease inside.
Been using it for more than 15 years now, and recently disassembled a BB that I put in a frame 9 years ago.
The bike was ridden all year long and spent its nights outside, but the BB came out as if it had been installed the day before.
I use it on just about every bolt I need to put on a bike.

bm0p700f":19swsw1f said:
However If you want to be really particular then this guide might be useful.
A zinc antiseize is better for Aluminium appliacations but copper anti seize is a "good choice" (half moon).

http://www.stealth316.com/misc/antiseize.pdf

+1 for copper grease. Cheaply available at Halfrauds and goes a long way, even in a little tube. Grease is to keep moving parts doing so, isn't it...? Copper grease is for static surfaces to prevents the surfaces from reacting over time and thus 'siezing' in place.

Images of LGF's BB removal technique spring to mind, based on situations where someone hasnt looked after a bike and properly (copper) greased the BB or it was probably never greased at all!

My two pence, for what its worth.

Back