Training into the Industry...

cce":3u45tvqu said:
i've been contemplating the idea of a spanner-only shop near to the major office complexes in town, with the objective of turning people's bikes around while they are in work...

this would work in the right area. a small stock of consumables & smaller items... tubes, tyres, grips, saddles, brake pads, pumps, helmets etc and more expensive kit bought in to order such as brake sets, shifters & mechs.

the only potential downside with a shop like this would be that you would have to be open for 7.30 / 8 ish in the morning and potentially not finish until 6.30 / 7.00 in the evening depending on the travel times of the local workforce.

there must be a big demand for those who commute to be able to drop their bike off close to work, get those new tyres fitted or wheels re-trued then pick it up on their lunch hour / when they finish. the expansion to include new & second hand sales, rentals & custom build options could make it viable with an online side to the sales as well.

The problem with being mobile some of the distributors, ExtraUK, Fishers, Madision, RJ Chickens, Moorelarge won't want to talk to you. Some will though.

The thing with setting up a business it will take two years or so before it pays you anything or so I have heard. Mine is just covering costs. I make my income doing supply teacher as I am a qualified teacher.

A spanner only shop in near to where people commute is a good model I think. Well worth exploring if you can get the unit rent low enough. You will still blow a few grand on stock though and you always need a bit more than tyres, tube and a few consumables as most bikes I see that are used for commuting are pretty worn out.

cce":2yq6ekzl said:
i've been contemplating the idea of a spanner-only shop near to the major office complexes in town, with the objective of turning people's bikes around while they are in work...

Evans are doing a similar thing right next to Brum train station, with a parking facility

Dead Rats":1x31j6s8 said:
Evans are doing a similar thing right next to Brum train station, with a parking facility

Is that a new Store? Or the Temple Street one?...With the likes of Evans & their buying power, a one man band just couldn't compete on financial outlay or have the Contacts or discounts on offer within the Industry to compete with the chains...

Although I read the Industry Polls on Bike Biz & Mechanics claimed a high percentage of the shop's annual turnover...

I know of a shop in Brum who folded & they were right in the City...don't have an answer, but from what I've seen on the net the best independent companies are Marketing the Hell out of the business & turning it into a community hub ('scuse the pun) not just a shop fronted business...Like 'Look Mum No Hands'... etc

it's directly opp. one of the exits from New Street station, down the road form the other Evans

EDIT, my bad - it's opp. main station in LEEDS :oops: :LOL:

I visit Leeds and Birmingham quite often and got them mixed up, fool

:LOL: :LOL:
Quick Tip...It's all in the accent which Town you're in...I don't go into Brum, so hadn't seen the shop even if it was there...

Back