Claud Butler c 1962....Finished

Campagnolo.

Open C, closed C, I've both guys...and you should all get out more.

Beginning to sound like collectors :LOL: .

Roadking.

Re: Campagnolo.

roadking":16kvzqim said:
Open C, closed C, I've both guys...and you should all get out more.

Beginning to sound like collectors :LOL: .

Roadking.

I've got both as well - I'll show you when you call ;)

it's almost certainly a holdsworth era claud, and seems to appear in the catalogue from 1959…

CordonBleu59.jpg

for reference, this bike is an original claud from '51, but was repainted in '62 with holdsworth cb downtube badge, so see if it matches the one on yours… if there's s.e. 20 given as part of the address on the downtube decal, it's a holdworth for sure. also, the frame number does not seem to correspond to how pre-57 era claud butlers were stamped (month/year ordered, 1151 in the bike below's case)

claud.jpg

Hi all, thanks for the interest in this project.

It will be a slow build as money is still tight, but i have at least started. The frame has been blasted, and looks much better for it. I have been polishing various bits; the brakes, headset, and mech all coming up OK. I have bought some "new" wheels for it, but am not to happy with the profile and look of them. They will have to do though until the right ones come along.

I have stolen the seat, levers, and pedals from the Carlton in my other thread, as they are in better condition. The band of the Campag lever is missing chrome, and i am going to try brush on nickel plating it...Old Ned... the lever isn't straight, it has a small crack at the base, caused by the action you describe, very perceptive of you.

The CB sticker on the seat tube was unreadable, but identified by Nick at Lloyds as a Clapham one. Maybe this was an early Holdsworth Cordon Bleu. It is definately a Cordon Bleu...no pump pegs, and the little square braze on for locating the lever on the down tube.

I grew up about a mile from the CB factory in Manor St, but he went broke the year i was born :(

Hoping to get some paint on it in the new year.

There is one question i have, later catalogues state that there were small Claud Butler signatures on the forks, anyone have pictures of the placements of these?

Cheers for now,

Dave

CordonBleu63.jpg

You can just see the lever locating braze on on the down tube in the lower pic here...

It wasn't just the early campag levers that suffered......drilled out later levers made of "drillium" also bent as you searched for the largest cog turning into the wind on a time trial........ I've got one in the garage which I kept as I couldn't bring myself to throw it away having spent hours drilling / filing it LOL

Shaun

Hi,

bit of an update here. Winter has finally gone, and i can get back out to the batcave.

We have been accumulating a few parts over the winter. A nice Nervar three arm chainset, and axle/pins from France, cheers Rich 34 :cool: for the karma parts. Still looking for a 44 t or 46 t chainring to suit though. Would appear to be 116 BCD. Anyone able to help me here?

Next, we got some lovely wheels. I bought a pair of new, weinmann rimed wheels, but when they arrived, the rim profile was horrid, these are now for sale. But i have been able to get matching Normandy hubbed , Wide flange, Weinmann rimmed wheels. Front one from Malc on RB, and rear one from the bay. The the rear is now undergoing a respoke at my LBS. Thanks for all the help and advice when i asked about doing it myself, but i have realised that i just don't have the time to do this, and my college work :(

The saddle, pedals and levers are being stolen from my Carlton project, as they are in good condition, and i won't be needing the pedals and levers. However i do still need another Brooks saddle. Anyone out there have a spare?

Lastly we have these lovely beauties....

Butlerdecals.jpg

Most of the polishing and cleaning up is done, just waiting to sort out the paint, and pinstriping.

Coming together slowly :D

Dave

Back