rBoTM December 2011 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
rejuvenating?

Uhm... :roll: I don't know, but perhaps you can take actions to preserve them. I treat some hoods with silicon based vaseline, but it could be there exist better ways to isolate them from elements and fight aging.

I rejuvenate hoods using automotive tyre gel products

Turtle Wax Extreme Nano Tech Tyre Gel

or Maguires -

Give it a good massage / clean it off - repeat

Give it a go

Holdsworth Mistral Race/Tourer c1973

Ok guys,not sure if this tickles your fancies seeing all them beauties.
But maybe nice to see pre 1980s British bikes!!
This is my latest find,allbeit in excellent original condition,not restored,but lovingly looked after.
Recently bought locally here in North Wales.
Anyway, here we go

Holdsworth Mistral c1973
Frame Number 41315
Size C-C Top Tube 22" C-T Seat Post 23"
Reynolds 531 Frame/Forks

Components:
Stem/Bars: GB
Brake Levers: Weinmannn
Brake Calipers: Weinmann Vainqueur 999 C/P
Headset: TDC
Bottom Bracket: TDC
Saddle: Brooks B15 Champion Narrow
Seat Post: Brimalux 26.4
D/T Gear Lever: Campagnolo Record Single
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Record 5-Speed
Chainset: Williams Cottered Cranks with 52 Tooth Chainring
Wheels: Campagnolo S/F Hub Built Onto 27 1/4" Fiamme Alloy Rims, With Regina Extra 5-Speed Freewheel Block 14-28 Ratio
Tyres: Michelin World Tour
Pedals: Lyotard Platform
Mudguards: Weinmann Innoxydable Short
Pump/Pegs: Bluemells with Campagnolo Pump Mtgs

Attachments

• DSCF1476.jpg
    DSCF1476.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,355
  • DSCF1481.jpg
    DSCF1481.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,355
Johnsqual":10e9gs3q said:
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but what's the background of Maasi?
Is it an Italian brand? Or Spanish? Any connection to Masi/Massi? Not come up with much searching the internet.

Italy. On the headbadge it says Firenze.

Attachments

• Faliberto article actual size.jpg
    Faliberto article actual size.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,322
Citoyen du monde":uk8ipnhv said:
Please have at the bike. Any scrutiny/nit-picking is welcome.

Nice looking bike and the cut outs are mad, particularly those pedals :shock:

However to my eyes , for a weight weenie build, the bulky, heavy looking saddle really jars and, even though you mention the indentations, it does look as if it's nose down which spoils the overall look. Also the cage, which may be period correct, doesn't match the overall aesthetic of the bike. Add to that the colour clash between the stem and post and it's almost there but not quite. Nice photos though.

Just sayin' ;)

ededwards":24cp3yac said:
Nice looking bike and the cut outs are mad, particularly those pedals :shock:

However to my eyes , for a weight weenie build, the bulky, heavy looking saddle really jars and, even though you mention the indentations, it does look as if it's nose down which spoils the overall look. Also the cage, which may be period correct, doesn't match the overall aesthetic of the bike. Add to that the colour clash between the stem and post and it's almost there but not quite. Nice photos though.

Just sayin' ;)

First of all the bike was not initially meant to be a weight weenie bike. The frame is simply to heavy for that. By simply exchanging the fork out with one made with "road" blades (instead of the round extra beefy track ones), you would be able to drop perhaps 100 grams. The Selle Royal Contour Superleggera saddle was in fact one of the first "lightweight" saddles having an alloy undercarriage (without speaking of the Idéale saddles with alloy undercarriage that nonetheless remain very heavy.) It is considerably lighter than such saddles as Unicanitor, Concor (even the superleggera model), Turbo... As regards the stem and seatpin being different colours, this speaks of the mid-80's. As regards the bottle cage, we will need to disagree as I find it to be very elegant and among the lightest of its time.

PS: as already mentioned, as the bike now stands, the bars and stem are now raw metal (no more black stem) and the saddle has been replaced with a Concor superleggera.

Johnny Foreigner.

...wins again it would appear.

Pity about the bias.

Underlines something bigger methinks.

Roadking.

P.S already commented, but nice bike Malc, and Mistral is one of the longest running sub brands in cycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back