Claud Butler c 1962....Finished

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi,

New to the forum. Just getting back into riding again. This has been in the family since the mid/late 60's, but wasn't new then. We got it for a bottle of Talisker!

I could do with some help identifying the model, and probably finding some wheels/rims, tyres, a saddle, and a better crankset, the rest is do-able......Oh, and does anyone know if there are stickers available, or anyone who might make them. Does CB still exist....

Update at 24/11/11...Definately a Cordon Bleu, as it has the little square locating lug for aftermarket changers. The previous owner told me yesterday that he bought it second hand about 1970, and thought it was "about 8 years old" when he got it. It was Ruby and Cream. This seems to confirm what i though about it, i.e circa 1962

P7110134.jpg

P7110135.jpg

P7110140.jpg

P7110136.jpg

P7110139.jpg

P7110138.jpg

P7110137.jpg

Frame: Claud Butler "Cordon Bleu"

Fork: Matching CB forks

Headset: Unknown
Stem: Custom
Handlebar: GB
Bar Tape:

Brake Levers/Brifters: Weinmann
Brake Calipers: Weinmann 730 QR
Brake Pads:
Brake Cables:

Shifters: Campagnola.
Front Derailleur: N/A
Rear Derailleur: Campagnola Gran Sport
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette:
Chain:
Cranks:
Chainrings:
Bottom Bracket: LBS
Pedals:

Rims: Weinmann
Hubs: Normandy wide flange ( both stamped '79)
Hub Skewers: Front "Miche", rear track nuts.
Nipples: N/A
Spokes:
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle: Brooks B5N
Seatpost: Steel
Seatpost Binder:

Bottle Cage:
Extras:

Weight:

Cheers for any help you can give,

Dave

It's an original Claude Butler - if you look on Classic Rendezvous you should be able to find plenty of details. Someone like Argos, Mercian or Atlantic Boulevard should be able to help with a respray / transfers - won't be cheap though.

Got to say if that was mine, I'd leave the looks alone. All I'd do is a fixed conversion and make everything work. Job done.

Claud

Hi, looks like mid - late fifties ( the Nervex professional lugs date from 1955 onwards ), is there a serial number under the bottom bracket, that may help. Claud Butler had gone bust around this time ( history can be found at http://www.nkilgariff.com/ ), so it can be difficult to find the exact model. Period parts can be got at Bike Jumbles, there's one at Steyning Centre, Steyning village near Brighton on August 21st ( http://www.bikejumbles.co.uk/ ). I've a restored 1949 Claud, if you want a look what they can look like, it can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk_photos/4760086966/. Take your time and good luck.

Many thanks for your speedy replies, much appriciated.

The serial No. seems to be four figures, 387X, ( X = the last no.) would this be correct?

The paint is lifting from underneeth, and i am worried about leaving it coroding. It was a wine red colour with Yellow on the headstock, Blood and Custard!

Regarding the gear shift lever, is open C earlier or later? is there a cut off date?

Cheers
Dave

Piperdave":2ubvinqs said:
Many thanks for your speedy replies, much appriciated.

The serial No. seems to be four figures, 387X, ( X = the last no.) would this be correct?

The paint is lifting from underneeth, and i am worried about leaving it coroding. It was a wine red colour with Yellow on the headstock, Blood and Custard!

Regarding the gear shift lever, is open C earlier or later? is there a cut off date?

Cheers
Dave

Earlier! Id ned to check dates.

Piperdave":aq4zo6oo said:

Open 'C' was the first design and they were a lot thinner than later ones. This one is still straight which is a rarety itself! They often get bent when riders search for another lower gear that isn't there.

Back