2005 Turner 5 Spot - Finished update Pg. 3

Personally I would have gone with a more AM/FR build with a 5 spot but that looks like it'll be a very quick XC machine due to the weight.

How come no hydraulics on there ?

Neil G":3q1ut7v6 said:
Personally I would have gone with a more AM/FR build with a 5 spot but that looks like it'll be a very quick XC machine due to the weight.

How come no hydraulics on there ?

I know what you mean about the build but as I had virtually everything off my CK already here I just built it from that, and as I'm only 9st in weight I'm hardly going to stress anything out to much in it's current form.

I've never had hyraulics as yet and I like the relatively simple to work with cable operated discs. They more than stop me :).

I'm just in the process of swapping the brake levers for a set of Pauls and changing the tyres for some slightly faster rolling Racing Ralphs over the Nobby Nics.

Cheers.

A little update on the 5 Spot... Some comfier grips with the Oury's and swapped the TRP levers with a set of Pauls. The TRP's didn't feel that great with the BB7's where as the Paul's feel very strong and positive. Will use the TRP's on my Funk along with the Goodridge hoses which have been swapped for Jagwire Ripcord carbons.

DSC06464.jpg

Biggest change has been the wheels... Swapped the black hope hoops for a set of FRM Urano XC Team wheels and the Nobby Nic's for a set of Racing Ralphs. I know really lightweight wheels wouldn't be many peoples choice for this sort of bike but thought why not... Plus give a bit more colour contrast to the bike.... And given the light weight it absolutely flies even more than I thought it did previously!

DSC06463.jpg

DSC06466.jpg

DSC06465.jpg

DSC06461.jpg

SPEC:

Frame: 2005 Turner 5 Spot (medium)

Fork: 2011 Rock Shox Revelation RLT Ti with Black Box Damping
Rear Shock: TFTuned RP3

Headset: VP (cane Creek)
Stem: Use Atom
Handlebar: Use Atom Carbon
Grips: Oury

Brakes: 2012 Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes
Brake discs: Alligator 203mm fr / 180mm rr Ti Nitrate coated
Brake Cables: Jagwire Ripcord Carbon
Brake Levers: Paul Components Love Levers

Shifters: XT Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: M970 XTR
Rear Derailleur: M972 SGS XTR Shadow Medium Cage
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire Ripcord Carbon
Cassette: HG61
Chain: KMC
Cranks: FSA K-Force Light Hollow Carbon
Chainrings: Shuriken Chain Blades 44/34
Chainring bolts: A2Z
Bottom Bracket: Gusset EXT24

Hub Skewers: FRM SK10-M
Wheels: FRM Urano XC Team (Urano hubs, XMD333 Rims & Sapim bladed spokes)
Tyres: Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Tubes: Specialized 1.5 inch tubes

Saddle: Flite Evolution 3 Carbon
Seatpost: Use Sumo Carbon 400
Seatpost Binder: Hope

Thanks for looking :cool:
Alex.

I don't know why it doesn't do it for me (because I like the old Horst link 5 Spots) but I think it's because, for me at least, you have a strange choice of componentry and set-up.
Like I can't ever imagine trying to select the gear you want with thumb shifters in friction mode while you're trying to get the thing down some greasy rock steps and especially not with such a long stem (on a bike that's begging for 70mm at the most) and with brake levers at the angle that you seem to have them. It just says "Have me off over the bars" even just looking at the photographs......
It's just that its form doesn't follow its function - it's as if you want it to be a racing whippet type of bike, which it was never intended to be.

Feel free to be as constructively critical of my bikes, of course :LOL:

Looks great but the angle of the brake levers as above... really? That is some angle!

If it were mine I would have a dinky stem as well but granted that is personal choice.

Do like the wheels.

Wheels do look good :D

Still don't see the reason not to run hydraulics as they are very simple and easy to set up but personal choice.

Well while I was taking a few updated pics of the Titus today I thought I'd take a few of the 5 Spot's updates... All done over last summer, and been an absolute blast on and around the Epping forest trails. The tyres went on to do a long charity ride last summer but ended staying on and worked really well on the hardpack trails and singletrack I often ride... I know others have posted previously about it not being their cup of tea but really has become a very quick trail bike for me :cool:

DSC06691.jpg

DSC06692.jpg

DSC06694.jpg

DSC06693.jpg

DSC06689.jpg

Cheers :cool:

Back