9:Zero:7 Fat Bike

looks awesome.... the detailing, the phatness (dont usually like them, but this one works visually).... however

quite telling the gear you have selected, considering the flat ground. what is that your'e in, a 27/32? ;)

can you get bounce on the front that will take a phat tyre? (not that its needed, I guess)

G

Many are using the DUC SC32 front suspension forks, never tried them myself, prefer rigid, the huge rubber is like have 3" suspension front and back anyways.

saltyman":17pqclzu said:
Good aint they :)

Indeed they are. I spent Saturday having a blast and riding through the sort of gloop that would normally keep me indoors. No excuses for not staying fit this winter :D

stubbsy":17pqclzu said:
have you weighed it, looks light for a fat bike.

Total weight including pedals is just under 34lbs. I was hoping for 30-31lbs but the shop sent me wire bead tyres instead of kevlar and standard tubes rather than the lightweight ones I'd asked for. This little F-up saved me $20 but added 2lbs of rotating mass. I would send them back but the shop is in Alaska......

unkleGsif":17pqclzu said:
quite telling the gear you have selected, considering the flat ground. what is that your'e in, a 27/32? ;) G

The pic was taken at the top of a climb but its funny you mention the gearing as thats the first thing I'll be changing. The 27t is just a bit too much on the steeper climbs, even with a 36 on the cassette. Another trip to the Middleburn shop beckons.....

Other than that I just need to ride it some more. Bring on the winter :D

saltyman":2zer2ep2 said:
Many are using the DUC SC32 front suspension forks, never tried them myself, prefer rigid, the huge rubber is like have 3" suspension front and back anyways.

Very true. I was surprised just how much bounce you get from these tyres. Feels like theres more suspension than the 80mm forks on my xc bike :cool:

i am going to get a fat bike soon and had my heart set on a black ops pug but now ive seen yours and my thoughts are racing :roll:

what shop did you purchase from :?:

what size ring are you going to go for on the front :?:

very impresive build, great weight

stubbsy :D

Really nice job on the build on your 9:Zero:7! Good choice on the forks as well. I'm glad CRC had a quality mid-price 135mm fork made up this year.

I have a 17" 2011 9:Zero:7 frame that is all ready to be put together as soon as I get the money together to buy the wheels for it. I must say I was a bit torn on whether I liked the 2010-11 straight bar frames better or the newer 2012 ones like yours but now I've seen a few together I'm leaning towards the bent frame design.

Enjoy the bike!

Thanks for the comments Carlin:D

stubbsy":3nv72fen said:
i am going to get a fat bike soon and had my heart set on a black ops pug but now ive seen yours and my thoughts are racing :roll:

what shop did you purchase from :?:

what size ring are you going to go for on the front :?:

very impresive build, great weight

stubbsy :D

I purchased it from Fatbikes.com/Chain Reaction US.

Looks like I'll have to go 3x10 if I want a smaller granny ring than 27t. I don't think you can get a duo ring smaller than 27t.

Also, the 34lbs was calculated by weighing all the individual parts on the kitchen scales before building. I've just weighed the bike on my digital bathroom scales and its showing 33.0lbs so I'll go with that instead ;)

Bit of an update. I've replaced the 100mm stem and straight post for a Thomson layback post and 90mm stem and swapped the retro but heavy XT pedals for some plastic Nukeproof electrons, but I'll be keeping the Flite saddle (stamped 94) on there as a nod to retro coolness. I also changed the Middleburn 27-40 duo chainrings to a 20-30-40 triple setup with a pimpin' red spider :cool: . With the BB centered in the frame I only had about 2mm clearance between the tyre and chain in the lowest gear, so I adjusted the BB cups towards the drive side by about 2mm for a bit more clearance.
I've also fitted a red Salsa seat clamp to add a bit of colour but I'm not sure if I prefer it to the black or not and I've fitted a crud guard to the rear. I hate the look of these things but its a bit of a necessity with the amount of muck the Nates throw up.

Some pics from todays ride -

20111223-P1010914.jpg

20111223-P1010916.jpg

20111223-P1010917.jpg

20111223-P1010922.jpg

:D :D :D

Back