Help requested - Roe frame

nammonk

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello All,

I wonder if anyone knows anything about my 531 frame/forks that goes under the name of "Roe". I believe this was bought new in Leeds in 1982. It is a lovely frame, with rather nice lug work. A rather poor picture attached; I can put more detailed pics up if anyone thinks it would help.

I can't find anything at all on the web (very unusual!) and would love to know a bit more about it.

Nick

Attachments

• Roe2.jpg
    Roe2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,222
Roe frames were built in Hull by Steve Roe who was previously a builder with the Falcon set-up in Brigg. This would have been around the early/mid 80's. He was an early exponent of 'aero tubed' time trial frames but sadly I don't think he lasted very long. There are some adverts in period 'Cycling' magazines for him, I'll see if I can find one.

Your frame looks very nice.

His brother Derek is still racing in time trials.

Roe

Thanks Old Ned.

This site really is wonderful! If you do see anything in the old mags, I'd be very interested.

Nick

Old Ned

That's very interesting....The only frame builder in Hull was Cliff Pratt about that time and it all stopped in the 60's I think.

I had one :)

Downstairs in Cliff Pratt's shop was the jigs and a lot of tubes, lugs and a small spray booth. The only other lightweight shop was Ken Elleker and they didn't make frames.

I wonder where Steve Roe made them ?

I have a Falcon San Remo (it's pink, don't ask) ordered from Billy Holmes hand made in the late 70's , maybe it's one of his ?

Shaun

Midlife":nibdtoku said:
I wonder where Steve Roe made them ?

There's an address on the advert - if I can find it!

There were quite a few frame builders at Falcon so could have been any of them!

Found a small ad in a May '82 Cycling. The address quoted is -

64A de Grey St.
Newlands Avenue
Hull

There is a 'phone number - but it won't be much use now!

Roe racing bike

This thread is a bit dated but I've been looking for info on a Roe racing bike that I own. I'm on the other side of the Atlantic and I bought the bike when I worked in a bike shop. Fun bike. It was my only bike and I raced it, rode it to school and to work. I really didn't know anything about the bike; it showed up at the shop and I happily paid $300 for the bike complete with a suntour suberbe group in the mid-80s. I'm attaching some pics. Certainly the fluted stays and the rear drop out look like the pic of the bike that the OP posted.

Attachments

• Roe.jpg
    Roe.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 836
  • SeatpostCluster.jpg
    SeatpostCluster.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 836
  • ForkTabs.jpg
    ForkTabs.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 836
  • BottomBracket.jpg
    BottomBracket.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 836
Hi, seen this on BikeForums and added a comment. The over-bracket cable guides and other details somehow tend to make me think of it as 70's frame which doesn't really fit in with Steve's build dates. However, if I see his brother, I will ask him if he can shed some light.

Strange one Ned, the top tube rear brake cable guides are a little later in the time line than the mech guides on top of the botom bracket.

Looks like a sort of in-between frame but I'd put it at 1980 or thereabouts..

Shaun

Back